• Register Today It's free!

14bolt axle problems/dilemmas

full foot notch

Reaction score
City, State
orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 2dr 4x4
Well yall, the front axle is in, but now I am having to address rear driveline issues, since my truck is a 2dr explorer it has a short driveline, and heres the thing, the rear has a severe driveline angle, the driveshaft is at 25 degrees and the pumpkin is at 30-35(not sure), and the perches have been previous cut and welded on the 14 bolt axleand right now its at the shop waiting on what I am going to do, right now I am running a 39.5 bogger in the rear, and I guess due to the driveline angle, the way it is set up, it is going to burn the pinion bearing up since it is over 5 degrees( I guess since it is an oil slinger setup and 5 degrees is the max before damage can occur) the rear is a 6 inch lift spring with 5 inch block to match the 12 inch chevy front springs, so you know I have some height in the truck, my thing is, is there any axle out there that is 1ton and 8 on 6.5 that can hold up to that kinda of angle or am I going to have to change the whole driveline setup to bring it back down, as I do not think there is a high angle driveshaft that can support those kind of angles at both end. Another question is that would it just be worth it to trade the high pinion ford dana 60 front for a set of F&R Rockwell axles and just build it from there since it is a top loader and there would be no problem as far as pinion lubrication and it would also decrease driveshaft angle? Its one of those, I know those dana 60s go for 1300-1500 depending on condition, and I just had mine rebuilt, so I know its worth the $$, and since my truck is at chucks trucks, a set of pullouts is 800 front 500 rear so that’s 1300 total, figure I don’t shorten the long side in the front, ive already paid the $$ to do crossover steering, and pricing it out thru chucks site is pretty much the same for the D60 as the Rockwell in terms of steering arm and draglink, the wheels and tires I could most likely get from USA6x6, and then the wheel brakes is my main concern, I know that the prices have come down some and then I noticed some 1 ton DIY kit that USA6x6 has for $150 per axle, im guessing I could adapt that to work

Its just that this truck has been sitting since march when the axle broke, and I really want to get this truck done and running for right now, and for me to work with what I have, im going to have to invest some $$ to bring it down and smaller tires, or I can invest a lot more and go Rockwell, or at least bargain my way to getting rockwells, I mean im $4k in the hole cause of this stage of stuff right now, im just seriously tired of my truck sitting and I want to drive it again, I just don’t know what to do and at wits end if ya know what I mean

I have never heard to run a 14 bolt at only 5 degrees of pinion angle at the most. 35 degrees of pinion angle is alot though Why not extend the breather higher and overfill the diff some to help keep the pinion lubed. Do you have a cv at the t case? to have 25 on one and 35 on the other could cause the driveline to bind and then brake. That 5" block is going to give you a ton of axle wrap and if your pinion is already seeing 35 degrees I bet when you step on the gas hard it is going closer to 45 and could see a regular ujoint binding well before then.

Get a high angle driveshaft and bring the pinion down a bit. You can run over 5 degrees on a 14b safely. Park the thing on a hill and over-fill it, and use some Lucas climbing oil.

just curios but what do you intend to use the truck for? Mud bogging or rock crawling? If you only want it to be able to mudbog then go get a high angle driveshaft with double cardan CV's at both ends. If you did that and used those u-joints with offset trunions you can easily compensate for the angles and leave the pinion at 5*.

Back