ecoboost_xsport

Mad Scientist
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orangevale, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
...so had teh wheels off for something was doing and decided to weigh the rim/tire combo for sh!ts-n-giggles while I had em off...

...Not very scientific, I know, but just used my bathroom scale after zero'ed it...

...damn things came in at 72lbs....that's rim/tire/air...

not sure how accurate or close that really is, but damn that's a bit heavier than I thought...does that sound right or is my scale off?

Anybody know how much the sport wheels weigh by themselves? I was kinda shopping around for some 22"s and at the very least want to keep them the same weight as the stockers. Not sure how much success I'll have with that seeing as pounds and dollars are inversely proportional when it comes to aftermarket wheel prices...but hey...a man can dream right? LOL...

I saw that Volk has the TE37s in 20"s now weighing in at about 26lbs I think...might go that route...

Anyway, just thinking out loud here...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That unsprung weight is a killer. That is the issue with all the Donks and cars with oversize rims. The added weight of those rims will destroy your suspension. There is a reason they claim they are "For show use only". Your car is not designed to ride around on public streets and highways with these over size and over weight rolling stock. It will destroy your strut bearings, tie rod ends and ball joints and bushings.

The lower the better. Keeping rim weight below 25 pounds is a great start. I had a set of 18" rims on my VW Passat W8 that weighed only 22 pounds each. The issue is the lighter the wheel the more expensive they get.

That unsprung weight is a killer. That is the issue with all the Donks and cars with oversize rims. The added weight of those rims will destroy your suspension. There is a reason they claim they are "For show use only". Your car is not designed to ride around on public streets and highways with these over size and over weight rolling stock. It will destroy your strut bearings, tie rod ends and ball joints and bushings.

The lower the better. Keeping rim weight below 25 pounds is a great start. I had a set of 18" rims on my VW Passat W8 that weighed only 22 pounds each. The issue is the lighter the wheel the more expensive they get.
You forgot to mention the extra strain they put on the braking system as well. As was mentioned by another member, with all the electronics and different control module you have to be careful when making changes to the vehicle setup as everything was programmed at the factory for the OEM vehicle.

Peter

Man...I start a thread about wheel weights and toss the idea in that I'm interested in going larger rim size and the "Internet Suspension" trolls/haters come out. As soon as I posted that thread I knew I shouldn't have mentioned the larger rim size because it's always the same story...I'm no noob to the car game and do understand the sacrifices that come with pretty much any vehicle upgrade over OEM. But like any other mod, mitigating that sacrifice is what's important. Most of us on this forum do it all the time to our cars. Maybe we should all just drive around completely stock cars because any change made over OEM can possibly have SOME adverse effect, LOL. I've had a set of 24s on my 2004 Nissan Titan for 10 years now...is it effecting the vehicle in ways the manufacturer did not intend and causing accelerated wear/tear? Sure it is. I have to change me brakes more often and I lost some power and I am certain it has caused some of those issues you spoke of...but that's the sacrifice I made...really no big issues out of it over the past 10 years.

Anyway, in theory, going to a larger rim size is fine as long as you keep the weight at or below the stock weight and the OVERALL rim/tire combo diameter equal (which the vehicle uses for speed & transmission data).

Now, that being said, I am fully aware of the XSport and it's performance...I DO NOT intend on doing what I did to the Titan. But going to 22"s, with a weight lighter than stock and maintaining an overall diameter as close as possible to the factory diameter will have minimal effect (some effects, I know, I get it..so please...no science lessons about the nuances of suspension) on the vehicle. Less rubber, yes a bit of a harsher ride, but also a possible small gain in handling...

BTW, a GREAT tire sizing resource:

http://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=205-55-16X6.5ET45&wheel2=225-45-17X7.5ET40&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm

It's all about mitigating the effects of the mods...in my opinion at least..

Is it something you might do? Probably not...but that's what makes this forum great...we all like our flavors a bit different.

Anyway, let me get off my soap box and do my part to keep the peace here (but let the flaming begin...as I'm sure some of you just wont be able to resist the urge)...I still love all of you though and I'm grateful for this forum as an awesome resource haha...keep modding...

My stockers on my 11' f150 22's weigh 44.5 lbs each.. Had the same concerns you had I was looking to change wheels and didn't want to go heavier. I weighed one when changing tires. I was a little shocked they weighed that much.

The hubs, spindles and bearings on F150s are more heavy duty and can handle the added weight and stresses with no problems. The Explorers bearings, spindles and hubs are based on Taurus passenger car mounts and are not designed for the added stresses of improperly sized wheels.

Man...I start a thread about wheel weights and toss the idea in that I'm interested in going larger rim size and the "Internet Suspension" trolls/haters come out. As soon as I posted that thread I knew I shouldn't have mentioned the larger rim size because it's always the same story...Maybe we should all just drive around completely stock cars because any change made over OEM can possibly have SOME adverse effect, LOL. . ..
Hi Are6, head over to the "modified" section. Lot's of good interaction and information exchange there for those of us who like to mod our explos.

...Anybody know how much the sport wheels weigh by themselves?
On their Amazon listing for the stock Sport rim, Detroit Wheel lists the shipping weight as 42 lbs without center hub cap. I was surprised to see that they listed the rim as 8.5in, my door manufacturer sticker lists them as "20x9.0J"

The hubs, spindles and bearings on F150s are more heavy duty and can handle the added weight and stresses with no problems. The Explorers bearings, spindles and hubs are based on Taurus passenger car mounts and are not designed for the added stresses of improperly sized wheels.

Ford Edge sport came with factory 22's that weigh 42lbs. I guess they beef them up too like the f150's? What's it based off of?

Haven't posted in awhile...here's the latest wheel pix...

20180919_172751.jpg

Back