17x8 or 17x9 Cobras? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

17x8 or 17x9 Cobras?

If I were to get Cobra rims(still debating) would I be better off getting 17x8s or 17x9s? GEFRacing.com has both sizes and I was thinking that maybe I wouldn't have to use spacers if I got the 17x8s.

Also, what size tire will give me about the same size as my current 255/70-16s? I don't really want to put smaller tires on and lower it b/c I don't think Eddie Bauers look as good lowered as other Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get the 17x8s if you are worried about the rubbing thing...... lets see.. a 255/70/16..... 30.1" Tall......

ok just looked at tire adds and all the tires for a 17 are like a 40 or 45% sidewall...this means you are basicallt screwed as to not lowering it... even the widest tire that wont fit becuase it would be too wide for an 8 inch rim and would wear funny is no more than 27 inches tall..... it will lower it no matter what

i dont think a 265/70 is even available for a 17 inch rim.... look around i may be wrong but most people that want to toss on a big rim want lo pro tires... so a high sidewall tire is hard to find if they even make them..... yes bfg makes some huge off road tires for 17 but hey would require a lift of some sort....

I looked on Tire Rack and there are actually quite a few 265/70 -17s. New Expeditions/F-150s use that size stock so it is becoming more common and will become somewhat standard in the next few years.

BFG AT KOs, BFG Long Trails, Wrangler RTSs, GeoLander ATs, Dueler ATs, and Michelin Cross-Terrains all come in 265/70 - 17.

If I go with the Michelin Cross-Terains I can get many different sizes. This is going to get confusing now...

Michelin Cross-Terrains(All 17"):
255/65 (30.1"x10") (Same as stock)
255/75 (32.1"x10")
265/70 (31.6"x10.4")
275/60 (30"x10.8")

I can also get the Pirelli Scorpions in 285/60 (30.5"x11.2") but this would probably be way to wide a tire. Or would it? If I went with the 17x9s I would have to use spacers on the front anyway so they might fit. That way I could have my stock height and a wider tread.

i used to work @ a tire place... and with my experience with wierd wear characteristics i would only do these:
255/65 (30.1"x10") (Same as stock)
255/75 (32.1"x10")

other tires that are wider will cuase wierd wear and may rub on things.....

hey cougar...

Last week I put on COBRA-R 's 17X9 with 265/70/17.

Look at my signiture link to see pics. I think it looks really good even though every says cobra-rs are for lowered explorers.

I am not using spacers right now and dont really plan on it either. The tires are hitting the sway bar on full extension so I just dont do any u-turns or really sharp turning.

I may possibly go with a 3/16" spacer eventually but its not really a big deal unless you make a lot of uturns or make really sharp turns.

I did have to do the 1.75" tt/shackle lift with some very slight (unnoticable) trimming on my fender.

Any questions just ask.

Grant

Fantasymon, Actually your Explorer is where I got the idea of not lowering it with Cobras. I have another thread with edited pics Dead Link Removed . In the pics with the painted Cobras those are your wheels and tires on my truck! For the front pic I just mirrored your pic and then stole your wheels... I was never to keen on lowering my AWD truck because I do take it off road sometimes but I never knew if it would look right at the stock height or raised with Cobras.

I do make a lot of sharp turns and lock the wheels often so I would probably go with a 3/16" spacer in the front. How much trimming did you have to do? Was the lift neccessary or did you do it for looks? If I can't get by without lifting I'll probably go with the 255/70s to keep the same profile. Thanks.

I really doubt I could have fit those tires on without the lift. I got the lift like 3 weeks before the tires so im not positive...

If your 98 is like my 2000, then on the front tires you will have to cut very little of the fender and then the litted plastic piece on the back of the fronr 2 tires. You cant tell I trimmed it at all, it is just necessary to keep the tires from rubbing on it. I didnt have to do anything to the rear tires since they dont turn.... this may be a stupid question but doesnt AWD wheel that all 4 of your tires turn? If so then you may have to trim some of the rear tires too.

Oh and i couldnt get those links to work.

Grant

fantastmon.... AllWheelDrive Means full time 4x4.... not four wheel steering if thats what you meant......

if all your wheels dont spin...you have a problem..... but only the front tires on all explorers to date, turn......

these are 2 totally different wheels. keep in mind the 17x9's are cobra r's. the 17x8's are off of a 98 cobra. they kinda look the same in pics, but when you get them they look different - if you look again, you can see the cobra rims have more arch in the spokes, and the cobra r's dont. personally, i like the cobra r's more, but the 98 cobra wheels are nice too.

Cougarx,i was also thinking of going with the 17x8 cobra[98].But when I spoke to a guy at Ford motor sport,I was informed that the 17X8 cobra is not as deep asthe17x9 and may not fit my truck because of the of the center hub.If you do get the 17x8 cobra let me know if it works.

i have the same wheels as cougarX, the 16x7". i am wondering if the 275/60/16 scorpion zeros will cause me any problems. will they be too wide? the guy down at good year says that they will fit the rim but i was looking at the specs and it says that they will fit 7.5" - 9.5" i dont really want to trim anything so if anyone knows for sure that there will be a problem with them i wont do it. if anyone has any suggestions or any other ideas let me know. thanks.

Back