18" Cobra Wheels and Tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

18" Cobra Wheels and Tires

Hello everyone!!!

I am wondering if anyone knows if the 18X9 Cobra Wheels will fit on a 1998 Eddie Bauer. I know the Saleen XP8 has 18" wheels but they use 255-55-18 tires. Isn't this tire size too short to replace the original 255-70-16's that I have?? Anyone have 18" wheel and tire suggestions?? Thanks

Wayne

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am pretty sure you can get the mustang wheels to fit, but I think you'll need a spacer. as for tires maybe scorpion A/T or something like that

Maybe the new Cobra wheels are 18x9, but if you are talking about the Cobra R 5-spoke wheels, then they are 17x9. The lug patterns on them are the same as your explorer. And you probably will need a spacer up front since the width of the rim is 2" wider than stock, and the wheel's offset tuck them in the fenders, not out of the fenders like Mexican's trucks and cars (not trying to offend any Hispanic people on the board). The 255-55-18 tires are the same heighth as the stock ones, it is just that they don't have as much sidewall as the stock 255-70-16's would have. As for suggestions, I would go with some Cobra R rims, if you have the dough. I love those rims, and even though I am not a hige chrom fan, those rims look even better in chrome. My friend has a mustang with these on it, and they are extremly bad ass. And I've seen them on a few explorers, and they look sweet.

rock883:

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if the spacers will cause the front wheels to shimmy? I like the chrome Cobra's too. I've seen Explorers with the 17's and they look kinda small on the truck. I saw some 18x9's on ebay but I haven't seen it on the truck yet. Anyone have pictures??

I have 18x8 wheels on mine with no spacers and its fine. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Sean:

What is the offset on your wheels?? The Cobra R's that I am looking at are replicas and they are 18x9 with a +24mm offset. I would rather not use any spacers. I had a porsche 911 that I put a slantnose wide body on and I had to use spacers. The spacers cost $300.00 and they still wobbled. Thanks!!!

Wayne

P.S. Does anyone know what the offset is on the original 16x7 Eddie Bauer wheels??

Back