18” wheels…8s, 9s,? Offset? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

18” wheels…8s, 9s,? Offset?

I don't, I kept checking how close the tire was from the BJ's, with stock 235/75/15's, the 255/70/16's, and each of the sizes I have used with two sets of wheels. A gap about the size of your finger is fairly good, if it's close to 1/4" or less, that's probably not enough. The right UCA has to be the single piece arm though, the stock two piece has part of the outer arm that is closer than the BJ.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did my search and found this thread.

I am running Stock 2000 Limited 16X7 with 19mm offset and 1.5"/38mm spacers. That's 19+(-38)= -19 offset. I was running 265/75’s. I went wider as I went taller with a big 2" lift ". I did air-down a few times, out wheeling mildly, so liked the old style wheels and rims. I am still camping and playing but not wheeling or wheeling even moderately to get to a campsite. I lowered it one inch, am running 255/70's and may take it back to stock height to handle a bit better with these lower profile tires on 18’s. I want a little bit smaller diameter tire and less rolling resistance with larger diameter 18" rims, race truck, ha. I won’t give-up all the sidewall and for reasons of breaking rims. I see some very nice incomplete sets of three, not four 20’s and 22’s around here.

My Calc's
I found some 2010 Ford Edge Limited Rims cheap. They are 18X8 50 offset. A +50 offset-38mm spacer = +12 offset. The existing set-up has the tires about 1/2" outside of the fender flairs, so I think it will be close on how these 18’s fit.

My Experience
My wife is out of town and I found her wheels to be the same specsas what I am looking ot buy!!! Blingety Chrome! Yah, I got them on my rig and I did a bit of swerving today and hard cornering. I had to test them out, before and after fitment of her 18’s with 245/60's. I want 255/50's which would be 1" less in diameter. What I found toady is that the handling is better. It’s a bit tighter with the smaller sidewalls. I also notice braking a bit for a little downhill that I normally do not = less rolling resistance. I got pics below and think they are too far in? Pics:
Wheels 1.jpg
Wheels 2.jpg
Wheels 3.jpg
Wheels 4.jpg

These look to be in nice shape, picking them up tomorrow:

18's 2010 Edge.jpg

Oh Yah, I weighed these and was surprised to see the 18" was 4lbs heavier, 345/60R18 vs 355/70/R16 Both size rims with Falken WildPeaks but the 18" tread pattern and sidewall is less aggressive.

Oh Yah, I weighed these and was surprised to see the 18" was 4lbs heavier, 345/60R18 vs 355/70/R16 Both size rims with Falken WildPeaks but the 18" tread pattern and sidewall is less aggressive.
hmmmm probably the alloy (or whatever wheel material) weighs more than the rubber in the tire.

I don't like the chrome in the pics but at least the one I am purchasing are painted a natural aluminum. After looking at it, I want 255/55's and can lower it 1"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I could strip the chrome cladding and paint hers black, then give her the nicer painted alloys.

From the pics I posted above and below, ya'll think they are too far in?

front-flaps-7.jpg

Wheels 4.jpg

Side view wheels.jpg
front-flaps-8.jpg

The rims are 18X7.5's offset of 46mm. A 46mm offset-38mm spacer = +8 offset. that places the inside of the rim about at the stock position and outer edge of the rim 3/4" further out. I couldn't pass-up some Firestone 245/60's that are like new. Nothing is close to rubbing but I am going to get some 2" wheels spacers to move them out an additional 1/2" and I think I will lower it some.

Wheelz.jpg

Back