18" or 20" Wheels?!?!?! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

18" or 20" Wheels?!?!?!

peter on the winter tire thing - to be fair if I lived where you do I would probably have dedicated winter tires on a car - specifically a RWD high power car like my DD. on a FWD biased appliance a all season is probably good enough for most use.

speed limits are another thing you can drive safer at speed on ice in a winter tires than you can on an all season - and God help you if you find your self on summer only Hi-po tires on wet pavement when the temps are below 40.
I had an experience last Winter I won't want to repeat. Had the Winter tires taken off at the end of March and a week later we had a big snow storm. I had to go into the city which involves in addition to country roads about 15 miles of highway driving. The vehicle was all over the road. Definitely a 'white knuckle' trip. I had driven through similar conditions with the Winter tires and had absolutely no issues even driving at a higher speed than that unforgettable trip. Also many insurance companies here give discount on premiums if you use 4 dedicated Winter tires. Next time I'm talking with them I'll try to remember if that also applies to the new All Weather tires.

Peter

Back