Wheels 18" or 20" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheels 18" or 20"

I have decided to go with the Mondera B52. My question is what size should I go with 18" or 20" does one have an advantage over the other or does one size look better then the other kinda confused on this cause all i have seen for this wheel is the 20" on the explorer plus the 20" is more ????? is it really worth the???? over the 18". Tell me your opinions. Oh also I know the tire size for the 20 is 275/45/20 what is it for the 18 Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought 18's...Wish I had twenty's. Think about it...If you really want to set your truck apart, why get a rim that's only one inch bigger than a lot of stock rims? Tire size I have are 255/45/18. I would think that the 275's would rub in the front, especially with 20's.

275s will not rub at all with 20s. Most people go with 255/55's with 18s.

Hartman, looks great, I can now see the future of the '96 XLT that I have kept totally stock until now.

might as well go ahead and get 20's. everyone i know that got 18's eventually wanted 20's, so do it like you want the first time.

here are the wheels you want in 20's on an xplorer. this is AnabolicFrolic's ride.

wheelangle.jpg

I would go with 18's. I know people with 20's and every 2-3 months they need to get the wheels straightened. I do not see a purpose to getting them unless your X is not a daily driver. Just my opinion. I plan on getting 18's because I do not want to spend another 12-1500 dollars for the rims. I plan on useing the money I save to upgrade my stereo in "Critical Level 2" (my X) to go even louder than it is.

Originally posted by Critical_Level2
I would go with 18's. I know people with 20's and every 2-3 months they need to get the wheels straightened.

Ummmmm, okay. :rolleyes: :confused:

Between 18 and 20 I say go 18. They'll probably ride better, are cheaper, the tires are cheaper, and you have less of a chance of messing them up.

I plan on getting 18's come spring. I don't see spending the money for 20's, and they aren't that special anymore. Everybody has 20's on their car/truck. Bigger is better, if you have the money. But to me, it's not worth it.

just to give you my opinion i have 18's with 255/5518 tires......i switched to 18's after having 20's becouse the truck rode like crap....they do look nice but my 98 has very stiff torsion and leafs and is dropped 2 in so the twentys were way to rough and like the guys here are saying the are very expensive to keep up with.....but when they say go with what you like first they are right on.....get what you want the first time....or you will never be happy with what you end up with....good luck

Is this even a question? obviously 20s...jk I'd say go with whichever you like more. If you want to bling n shine and whatever then go with 20s, if you just want a better, sportier look go with 18s. Heck even look into Hartmans 18s hes got a really good deal going with those, I think they are still for sale.

WoW i must be the only one who thinks the ride with 20's is better. Its not a luxury car ride.. doesnt ride like a lincoln navigator.. But its not rough or annoying. It gives me a better feel of the road and handles better to boot. The ride on the stock tires feels numb to me.

My thoughts on the 18's or 20's issue is this:
Yes 20's are more expensive than 18"rims. but 18's are expensive too. I wouldnt want to pay the money for 18's which are way too similar to 17's which are common on lots of SUVs these days. If im gonna invest my hard earned cash on wheels its gonna be on something that will really set it off.

Help yall, I am wanting to get 18's but since no one sells wheels for the x I want to know what info I will need to order some. I will be doing it online so I would like it to fit the first time.
I know I can use 7-9" wide with a 5 bolt patern but what are the numbers for backspacing and offset and whatever else for a 18" wheel.
I plan to put 285 50's on them.
Thanks

u need a 5x4.5" bolt patter.. cant just call it a 5 bolt pattern.
backspacing/offset are the same thing.. just the reverse.
As long as your getting a wheel designed for an SUV/truck you will be fine.
When i was looking for wheels online i found that most sites including manuf. web sites didnt list backspace/offset specs.

So you are saying with a 5X4.5 bolt pattern and 8.5" wide wheels I shouldn't have a problem with any rubbing of such??
Thanks for the previous info.

As long as the rim is RWD you will be fine.

Will 285/50R18's fit without rubbing? Or can you do 285/50R18's in the rear and 255/55R18's in the front?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Viggen2002
Will 285/50R18's fit without rubbing? Or can you do 285/50R18's in the rear and 255/55R18's in the front?

285/50 is the proper size for a 18/9" wheel. 255/55 is the proper size for a 18x8" wheel. I had 18s on my last Sport and those even bent over time. Guess the streets in Ma are just terrible.

Back