19 Explorer issues towing at highway speed | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

19 Explorer issues towing at highway speed

Why didn't you get a Sport or Platinum Explorer with the 3.5 Ecoboost? Keep the utility of the Explorer and gain the power of the bigger Ecoboost.
Hindsight my friend.
I read 5000 lb payload. Took it for granted that included performance. If ford listed typical speed, rpm and fuel mileage based on payload, it would be a whole other story. My dealer was just as surprised as I was.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am just curious...do you have a weight distributing trailer? Max trailer weight is 2000# even with the tow package for a 3.5 NA setup with the Class III hitch. It goes to 5000 for a weight distributing trailer.

A weight distributing hitch wouldn’t effect pulling ability, only rear end sag.

Hindsight my friend.
I read 5000 lb payload. Took it for granted that included performance. If ford listed typical speed, rpm and fuel mileage based on payload, it would be a whole other story. My dealer was just as surprised as I was.

And again, NOBODY lists that info so it is an even playing field across all manufacturers.

Hindsight my friend.

I meant why didn't you return the XLT for a Sport/Platinum instead of the F150?

Also, like blwnsmoke stated, no manufacturer states that info...way to many variables.
You could have a flat trailer with 5000lbs be easier to pull at highway speeds than an empty, enclosed trailer weighing 2500lbs just due to drag (air resistance).

The F150 is surely more heavy duty and more up to towing than the Explorer.

Interesting that it took 8+ years for someone to bring this thread topic up.

Peter

What cost?
F150 costs more, similarly equipped. The newer power train might eliminate a fuel penalty but it’s possible you’ll pay more in gas. Ride quality will be reduced as well as available safety features. All depends on what else you value in a vehicle.

Interesting that it took 8+ years for someone to bring this thread topic up.

Peter

Most likely an indication of how much of an actual issue it is.....

But the question is how many owners actually tow with the Explorer with the trailer close to the weight rating?

In my book the Explorer was not designed to be a tow vehicle. It will do it but as has been mentioned in this thread at a cost in both mileage and performance. I live in the mountains of Colorado and would never expect a Explorer to even try to perform pulling a trailer up and down the passes here. Even slight grades could drag the performance down to where you might think that something is wrong.

When it comes down to it if you want a vehicle to tow a trailer you need to purchase a vehicle that is designed to pull a trailer. The engine is just part of the equation. You also need to figure in the differential gearing along with the transmissions gearing, then the power that the engine puts out.

The transmission is the weakest links for towing, and trucks usually have the largest trans available for the engine.

But in this case it appears the 3.5 NA engine just isn't strong enough to pull a load well at highway speeds. You don't want 4300rpm towing at all, even 3000rpm is a lot to do for long distances. I think the turbo is the best solution for today's small engines in big vehicles.

F150 costs more, similarly equipped. The newer power train might eliminate a fuel penalty but it’s possible you’ll pay more in gas. Ride quality will be reduced as well as available safety features. All depends on what else you value in a vehicle.
I bet the overall cost of ownership over the life of the vehicle is less ESPECIALLY if you ever tow near the limit.

The new F150 I'm sure has a tough transmission. The new Ranger only comes with the eco-boost engine, and I'll bet it has a stronger transmission than the Explorer.

So I have been reading this thread with some interest.
i bought 2019 Explorer. The car gets 9 mpg towing 2500lb trailer. Engine is 3.5 with factory Class 3 towing package.
Worst part, it runs most of time in 4 gear at 4300rpm with tow/haul on. Top speed about 68 to limit rpm.
If I run 73mph it would be at 4500 rpm all the time. The only time it goes into 5 gear is down hill.

So far dealer can’t find problem.
Does anyone know anything ?

The 3.5 is rated 5000lbs. At that rate I would have 40mph top speed.
This is one of the dumbest complaints I have ever heard about. I regularly get anywhere from 16 to 22 mpg on the highway doing 80 mph, low end mpg is with high wind (20ish mph quartering headwind). Why can't I get 22 all the time? Ford said 22 mpg on the sticker? Well it is called drag and it doesn't matter where it comes from wind or a trailer, it is there and it makes a big difference. Weight only affects acceleration times mostly (force=mass*acceleration), but drag causes lower top end speed and lower mpg (thrust=drag at stable condition). Side note, weight has an effect on the normal force on tires resulting in a higher tire rolling resistance, but that is usually a small component compared to the aerodynamic drag.

It’s V nose Haulmark 12’ 1750lbs had two motorcycles in. Maybe 700pounds
This isn’t aero problem by far
Well jerky, if you had bothered to look at the specs of your trailer you would find that it is 6' wide by 8' tall (you don't get to exclude the space below the axle as that is a major drag inducer), which is 48 sq ft of frontal area, and no your V nose will not make much of a difference behind your Explorer. If you would have bothered to look at the towing guide you would see that the Explorer is limited to 40 sq ft of frontal area. See 48 > 40 and Ford says "Exceeding these limitations may significantly reduce the performance of your towing vehicle."

So now that we have established that it is really drag that does most of dirty work, and not weight we can move on and see how the next link plays in. Pay close attention to the numbers for the Toyota Tacoma and Honda Ridgeline, both with 3.5L NA V6 engines producing similar hp to the Explorer 3.5L NA V6.

What's with all the complaining about fuel economy while towing? Sub-12 mpg at highway speeds is normal. Just look at this comparison test.

Comprehensive Guide: Which is the Most Efficient Truck for Towing? Here They Are! - The Fast Lane Truck

I remember towing a utility trailer loaded with furniture with my 2006 Explorer V8 and getting around 12 mpg. It's normal!

So the Tacoma gets 8.6 mpg towing a 5600 lb trailer and the Ridgeline gets 11.5 mpg towing a 4800 lb trailer. The EPA ratings for those two are 18/23 and 18/25 respectively. A 2019 Explorer AWD gets 16/22 (17/24 for FWD). Note TFLTruck tested with a trailer that was ~40 sq ft frontal area. So now we can definitively say that the Explorer you had was well within reasonable expectations of performance considering you didn't bother to follow the established guidelines on frontal area. I am glad you and the dealer were able to work something out, next time ask to see the towing guides and limitations and make sure the vehicle you want is capable of doing it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I have been reading this thread with some interest.

This is one of the dumbest complaints I have ever heard about. I regularly get anywhere from 16 to 22 mpg on the highway doing 80 mph, low end mpg is with high wind (20ish mph quartering headwind). Why can't I get 22 all the time? Ford said 22 mpg on the sticker? Well it is called drag and it doesn't matter where it comes from wind or a trailer, it is there and it makes a big difference. Weight only affects acceleration times mostly (force=mass*acceleration), but drag causes lower top end speed and lower mpg (thrust=drag at stable condition). Side note, weight has an effect on the normal force on tires resulting in a higher tire rolling resistance, but that is usually a small component compared to the aerodynamic drag.

Well jerky, if you had bothered to look at the specs of your trailer you would find that it is 6' wide by 8' tall (you don't get to exclude the space below the axle as that is a major drag inducer), which is 48 sq ft of frontal area, and no your V nose will not make much of a difference behind your Explorer. If you would have bothered to look at the towing guide you would see that the Explorer is limited to 40 sq ft of frontal area. See 48 > 40 and Ford says "Exceeding these limitations may significantly reduce the performance of your towing vehicle."

So now that we have established that it is really drag that does most of dirty work, and not weight we can move on and see how the next link plays in. Pay close attention to the numbers for the Toyota Tacoma and Honda Ridgeline, both with 3.5L NA V6 engines producing similar hp to the Explorer 3.5L NA V6.

So the Tacoma gets 8.6 mpg towing a 5600 lb trailer and the Ridgeline gets 11.5 mpg towing a 4800 lb trailer. The EPA ratings for those two are 18/23 and 18/25 respectively. A 2019 Explorer AWD gets 16/22 (17/24 for FWD). Note TFLTruck tested with a trailer that was ~40 sq ft frontal area. So now we can definitively say that the Explorer you had was well within reasonable expectations of performance considering you didn't bother to follow the established guidelines on frontal area. I am glad you and the dealer were able to work something out, next time ask to see the towing guides and limitations and make sure the vehicle you want is capable of doing it.
U mad bro?

Back