19 Explorer issues towing at highway speed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

19 Explorer issues towing at highway speed

Artracing

Reaction score
City, State
Staatsburg, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 explorer xlt
i bought 2019 Explorer. The car gets 9 mpg towing 2500lb trailer. Engine is 3.5 with factory Class 3 towing package.
Worst part, it runs most of time in 4 gear at 4300rpm with tow/haul on. Top speed about 68 to limit rpm.
If I run 73mph it would be at 4500 rpm all the time. The only time it goes into 5 gear is down hill.

So far dealer can’t find problem.
Does anyone know anything ?

The 3.5 is rated 5000lbs. At that rate I would have 40mph top speed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i bought 2019 Explorer. The car gets 9 mpg towing 2500lb trailer. Engine is 3.5 with factory Class 3 towing package.
Worst part, it runs most of time in 4 gear at 4300rpm with tow/haul on. Top speed about 68 to limit rpm.
If I run 73mph it would be at 4500 rpm all the time. The only time it goes into 5 gear is down hill.

So far dealer can’t find problem.
Does anyone know anything ?

The 3.5 is rated 5000lbs. At that rate I would have 40mph top speed.

3.5 TT or NA?

Overdrive is gears 4,5,6 on this gen, so something seems wrong. Tow/haul was engaged?

Dealer picked up trailer. Have not heard back yet.
Initial scan showed nothing.
Horsepower is like 4 cylinder

I pulled this trailer @ 80mph continuously with my F150 2.7 eco boost.
Might have to envoke lemon law at this point.

Pic of trailer? What is in explorer when towing? Is 2500 the actual weight on a scale or just a published weight?

Sounds a bit odd, but I've pulled a few trailers with mine and if there is enough drag, mileage definitely suffers, especially at 70mph.

My 14' landscape trailer weighs around 1200-1300 empty, but it has a large ramp gate that creates a lot of drag at high speed and I only get low double digits mpg on the freeway with empty trailer.

It’s V nose Haulmark 12’ 1750lbs had two motorcycles in. Maybe 700pounds
This isn’t aero problem by far

What are you averaging not towing?

So you are getting appropriate mpg unloaded. What happens if you put the vehicle in manual mode and upshift to 5th?

There isn't enough power. Trans Shifts fine. It will shift into 5th on flat with slight down grade to manitain 68mph. If I shut Haul/tow off it will shift into 6th but only down hill.

It runs fine, shifts fine, proper mpg when not towing.. leads me to believe it is a drag issue. I've hooked up my snowmobile trailer (clam shell style) with 2 sleds and gear and could maintain 5th gear but it definitely didnt like it in the hills.

Wheel bearings?

Or now that I think of it, rear brake drag? We know the rears are famous for rust build up and sticking therefore causing drag. But then again, 22mpg unloaded so maybe not.

No, cool and dry brakes. Checked them 3 times. This has to be engine power issue.

Does the trailer have brakes? If so, could they be dragging?

Does the trailer have brakes? If so, could they be dragging?
There are no brakes dragging.
Car or trailer.

So dealer can’t find anything. So Ford is scamming people with this vehicle. If I ran 5000 lbs the car would top out at 40mph. They seem to be leaving that part out.
My lawn tractor can pull my trailer also.
I’m beyond discussed.
I.ll use social media to prevent anyone else from having this problem.
Thanks for all your help.

Dealer picked up trailer. Have not heard back yet.
Initial scan showed nothing.
Horsepower is like 4 cylinder

I pulled this trailer @ 80mph continuously with my F150 2.7 eco boost.
Might have to envoke lemon law at this point.

You can't even try to compare the 2.7TT to the 3.5 NA.

What towing speed and RPM guarantees did you receive from Ford?

If you received none with no documentation good luck with lemon law.

It tows. The fact that you do not like how it does it is not applicable for lemon law.

How many miles on the Explorer? First 2000 is considered the 'break-in' period according to your Manual. Are you using premium gasoline?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can't even try to compare the 2.7TT to the 3.5 NA.

What towing speed and RPM guarantees did you receive from Ford?

If you received none with no documentation good luck with lemon law.

It tows. The fact that you do not like how it does it is not applicable for lemon law.

That is good question about towing speed and rpm vs. payload There isn’t any. This is where the problem or little scam is. It will pull 5000 pounds. BUT on the highway the engine runs very high rpm. Gas mileage, no telling how low. With 2000 lb load at highway speeds, I saw 8.8mpg. I can’t image 5000 lbs.load and you won’t run close to speed limit.
The car has 2500 miles on it. Dealer and I are working out a deal.
Shame Shame on Ford.

Back