1978 Mustang II refurbishment thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1978 Mustang II refurbishment thread

@Josh P It work out ok? I'v never put an AOD/4R70W in an early Mustang...I'd like to see a picture of the Cougar
The 4R70W is a tight fit. There are 2 tabs on the trans housing you have to cut off for it to fit the tunnel. I swapped an explorer 8.8 in at the same time. The car has traction issues in 1st and 2nd gear. The red car behind the cougar is my XR4TI.

20220910_090333.jpg 20220910_090407.jpg 20220910_090418.jpg 20220910_090435.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! Brother has a '67 289 cougar up at his house in Tennessee. We have a few misc pieces for '67-'68 Cougars...
You must have narrowed the 8.8?

Nice! Brother has a '67 289 cougar up at his house in Tennessee. We have a few misc pieces for '67-'68 Cougars...
This one needs to be restored, it is mostly original. The chrome is getting pitted, interior is dried out.
is there a conversion for the gear indicator window? cause that is cool
1,2,D is on the indicator. I haven't wired a switch to turn the O/D off

20220910_092450.jpg

This one needs to be restored, it is mostly original. The chrome is getting pitted, interior is dried out.

1,2,D is on the indicator. I haven't wired a switch to turn the O/D off

View attachment 434184
I asked because I swapped a 700r4 into my 64 Impala Convert, and there was 1,2,3,O that popped onto top of steering column

I asked because I swapped a 700r4 into my 64 Impala Convert, and there was 1,2,3,O that popped onto top of steering column
Nothing on the column. When I restore the car, I may get a different shifter.

Tire nubs
tire nubs.jpg

m2tire2.jpg

Picture of the trunk
m2trunk.jpg

acbr1.jpg
acbr2.jpg

acbox1.jpg

We had 4 tires with new valve stems installed at WT&A. Also cleaned and repaired AC/heater box
acdrainhosehole.jpg

Hole in floor for AC drain to exterior
nodash.jpg

Column in...
acheatbox.jpg

The AC/heater box is installed.
acdefplenum.jpg

AC/def plenum blend door on the way from Virginia
Pictures continue to be added.

the cougar and the xr4ti oooh la la awesome vehicles to have around!!!!!

back in high school those 4ti's were everywhere now you barely ever see them.

Tires are SOOOOO expensive right now

the cougar and the xr4ti oooh la la awesome vehicles to have around!!!!!

back in high school those 4ti's were everywhere now you barely ever see them.

Tires are SOOOOO expensive right now
Both are fun to drive too. It's been years since I've seen another Merkur on the road.

The one good instrument cluster surfaced. This is on out of 4 or 5 that were removed didn't crumble
m2cluster.jpg

It was good to find them seeing as none are available on Ebay. When brother found them, he said he remembered wrapping them
in bubble wrap and boxing them up. That was 15 years ago...

The one good instrument cluster surfaced. This is on out of 4 or 5 that were removed didn't crumble
View attachment 434665
This adds to the value of the vehicle
The low zinc content in the soil beneath the car also adds value (minimal rust). I'd like to see what's behind door number 2? Greg if you remember let's make a deal, you get the joke....

We had to look on the internet for an AC defrost plenum blend door assembly. We got lucky and found one on E-bay.
Defrost plenum
defrostplenum.jpg

Defrost vent/dash vents blend door assembly
acplenum.jpg

Good find, those are scarce for sure.

Do you need a radiator at all? Someone mentioned having it on the Corral, an extra part stored long ago.

We got the radiator with the car IIRC. A Radiator Man in Fayetteville TN did his thing to it. We suggested that he not put too much pressure on it when he tested it. Old school radiator guys are getting hard to find. He no longer does it for a living. He went to work at a Plant mainly to get health insurance.

That's good, I also miss the old shops etc. Here we have a Vol Radiator that has lived on big truck radiator repairs, along wit automotive AC services. They've done radiators since the 80's when I first found them. I need to see them about a couple of my cars for AC work, if they are still going well.

I guess that I didn't realize until after we purchased the defrost plenum and blend door box thing that that was 2 pieces that we were missing entirely. They are in pretty good shape 4 44 years ago and one piece has written on it "M II Cobra".

I'm excited about buying this car

We are too. We feel like you will get it and be able to go the long game on it. It will be a really good Mustang II being upgraded with the 5.0. Will it be getting an AOD or 4R70W? It does have a C-4 that can be built up with Kevlar plates and such. We also have a Maverick 5 lug/stud 8" available. However the M II has an 8 inch in it now that could be redrilled if you wanted to put 14" or 15" wheels on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a bracket kit that uses the M II Spindle, 11" 5 lug Granada rotor and I believe and a GM caliper.
here is a link >Kit
I bought some from a place called Jrs Speed Shop in MO I think but it has been so long since, I can't remember for sure.
Cheapest Jegs

Back