• Register Today It's free!

1979 "Smokey" Trans Am

hornz2000

Reaction score
City, State
Athens, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
OK as you guys may know if you read my thread in "All Other Makes and Models," my dad and I have been getting a 79 Camaro Z28 restored from the ground up, to the tune of over $20K.... We will be getting it back from the restorer in two weeks totally completed. We are now itching to start another project. We have found a good price on a 1979 "Smokey" Trans Am..you know what I am talking about...the exact car from the movie. Has a 6.6 Liter 403 Olds. I have heard these engines are relatively slow and unreliable, but respond TERRIFIC to a cam/head upgrade. If we acquire this automobile, should we rebuild the 403 Olds?? I am thinking 454 Big Block....mmmmm :eek: :eek: All opinions, suggestions, etc. about this car appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My vote would be to stick with an olds, but go to the 455 Rocket... I have one of those in a 73 Delta 88, HUGE CAR... But that engine could sure move that boat down the road quicker than a snot rocket...

I had a 403 in my mom's Riviera a while back. It's considered a "big block", but it's real hard now to find hi-po parts for.
I'd want to keep it as original as you could. The motor mounts and brackets from a Pontiac 455 would bolt in. (Last year for the 455 in a Firebird was '76). You could use all factory parts

well first off, the 403 is consider a small block. I've read a lot about these motors in hotrod. they can be turned into a pretty decient performer. It all depends on how fast you wanna go. The 403 does respond very well to cam and head upgrades, since the factory fog stuff was pure crap. Early olds 350 heads will up your compression, port em for flow of course. Then there's always the aluminum head route. Personally I'd do the 403 for economics, you already have it. But the 455 will always have more building potentional. It's all in how fast you wanna go.

:chug: :chug:

My dad has a '73 TA w/ a 455, exactly like the one in Dazed and Confused. 455s are gooood builders. :) His seems to be fairly low maintenance as well. That's my expert opinion...

That 403 Olds motor in the Trans Am/Firebird was a real stone. During that vintage, if it had the Olds 403, the sticker on the scoop said "6.6 Liter" and if it had the Pontiac 400, the sticker said "400".

Back in '77, a friend of mine bought a new T/A with the 6.6-liter and it was really unimpressive, especially when passing (stomp the pedal at 45). I mean, he'd be trying to pass some old guy and you'd almost swear that they were laughing at the slow Trans Am that sounded like a vacuum cleaner. I mean, the motor was smooth; it just couldn't snap a rubber band, much less your neck.

In '78, I ordered a new Firebird Formula (back when you could go to the dealer and pick out your options and have the car built for you). I ordered it with the Chevy 350 and a Saginaw 4-speed tranny. Eight weeks later, when the car arrived at the dealer, it had a 403 in it and I wouldn't accept it. The salesman was pissed at me that I wouldn't take the car and the dealer offered to shave the price and stuff, but I insisted that they send the order in again and suggested that they might want to tell the factory to get it right this time. Well, it came and I was very happy with it but I always wondered if I might have made a mistake on not taking the one with the 403 - after all, supposedly there's no substitute for cubit inches. As fate would have it, I was out on the interstate one day and came upon a Formula with the 403 and we got it on. That thing was so pathetic in the acceleration department that I could literally pull away, slow up for him to catch up, and then nail it to pull away again. I was glad I stuck to my guns and didn't take the one with the 403.

With that said, whatever motor you go with, remember this: If you plan on using the original TurboHydramatic 400 tranny that came behind that 403, you are going to have to use a Pontiac, Olds, or Buick engine in it. The bellhousing is different because the P, O, B motors have the starter on the driver's side while the Chevy motors of that genre, big and small block, have the starter on the passenger side. Any of the motors is a bolt-in with the correct mounts since Pontiac, Olds, and Chevy motors were available in that vintage.

My suggestion would be to go with a Pontiac motor since it has great low-end torque and will mate up to the existing tranny. Additionally, you won't have to route wiring and stuff from one side of the car to another liike you would if you used a Chevy motor.

Listen to Maranda. Her daddy's '73 Trans Am would have had a Pontiac motor in it - either a 455 or a Super-Duty 455 (rare). If you switch to a Pontiac motor, you might want to find a parts car of the same vintage for brackets and such that you might need. If you get really frisky and want to go Pontiac, you can do what a friend of mine did back around 1980. We located a 455 H.O. from a '71 Trans Am with a cracked block cheap. The 455 H.O. motor was 4-bolt main caps but so were the 455 motors in station wagons during those years. We got a block from a station wagon at the junkyard, built the motor to the H.O. specs, and put it in a '74 Trans Am. That sucker flied.

Gosh. All this talk about hot rods and horsepower has almost made me feel young again. :)

Good luck

Listen to Maranda. Her daddy's '73 Trans Am would have had a Pontiac motor in it - either a 455 or a Super-Duty 455 (rare). If you switch to a Pontiac motor, you might want to find a parts car of the same vintage for brackets and such that you might need. If you get really frisky and want to go Pontiac, you can do what a friend of mine did back around 1980. We located a 455 H.O. from a '71 Trans Am with a cracked block cheap. The 455 H.O. motor was 4-bolt main caps but so were the 455 motors in station wagons during those years. We got a block from a station wagon at the junkyard, built the motor to the H.O. specs, and put it in a '74 Trans Am. That sucker flied.

Gosh. All this talk about hot rods and horsepower has almost made me feel young again. :)

Good luck [/B]

WOW, and I have it in writing! "Listen to Maranda"

My dad's is a Super Duty 455. :D :D :D If you watch that movie Dazed and Confused, it's the EXACT same TA, color and everything. I guess I already said that. LOL

His g/f is giving it to her son if/when he graduates high school. WTF? I should file a complaint.

Back