1991 explorer front end questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 explorer front end questions

sryder

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I received a very nice shape 1991 explorer from my father in law. he barely drove it over the past 5 years. I drove it a couple of trips and started to smell what i thought at first was oil. I checked everything and no leaks so i chalked it up to having a garage smell. the ride had shimmy figured the rotors were going. driving home from work the other day it really got worse but made it home. when i pulled in the driveway the front end was smoking. i assume from the brakes. could it be the calipers sticking?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it sat a lot, that's entirely possible. Usually wheel bearings won't spontaneously quit due to inactivity. The only way you'll know for sure is to jack it up and get the tires off. You should be able to spin the rotor with one hand easily. Pump up the brakes then release and see if you can still spin. If not then you need to figure out where the restriction is. Could be as simple as the rubber hose or could be as complicated as the rotor seizing up.

I agree with Nate. Frozen calipers are not uncommon. I bought a reman caliper and it was seized out of the box when I rebuilt my front end a few years back.

Thru multiple bearing/rotor combos, I have never been able to spin my rotor/caliper assembly with one hand easily. More like two hands, and not easily.

I'm not sure if that is a problem or not, since it has been consistent no matter the rotors and bearings and hubs I have run over the years, and I've never had any seizing issues or overheating.

Thru multiple bearing/rotor combos, I have never been able to spin my rotor/caliper assembly with one hand easily. More like two hands, and not easily.

I'm not sure if that is a problem or not, since it has been consistent no matter the rotors and bearings and hubs I have run over the years, and I've never had any seizing issues or overheating.
I probably overstated it. You should be able to rotate it by hand though, without the need for a long screwdriver or breaker bar. However, as long as your mileage doesn't suck and you aren't eating through pads like crazy, it is fine.

I've had troubles getting things just right as well, but I can turn the rotor with one hand with a fair bit of effort, and quite easily with a tire on.

Agreed, though, one will never notice it in mileage...

thanks for the responses.. I was definitely thinking a fire could have started even the rim was hot..Ill jack it up today.. My father in law had a hand written note of all he has done over the years and i noticed rotors and brake pads a few times and a few of those times with not many miles in between..

Stuck Caliper. Once had the same issue which did start a fire with a rubber brake line. Luckily a nearby restaurant had a fire extinguisher and I was able to save the Exploder as I call it. I have the brakes checked regularly now.

ok that said is there any performance upgrade calipers and brakes anyone would recommend

ok that said is there any performance upgrade calipers and brakes anyone would recommend
i would like to rebuild the front end as well while i am in there.. control arms ball joints tie rods etc.. would like to go performance for a lift down the road

There are threads on installing 97 Ranger dual-piston calipers somewhere around here, and also threads on rear disk conversions.

I'd recommend some Moog greasable ball joints.

If one was to go the 97 dual caliper route, Id look at D44 knuckle swap, Same amount of work involved and you'd get mucho betta bearings at the hubs and options for brakes that would not be so difficult to locate. TRS has some good info on this

I think when i redid the front brakes calipers, rotors and all the pads ended up lasting about 20k miles. not great for the size pad. You should be able to turn the wheel when jacked up. Use the usual techniques to depress the caliper and if you are having trouble, open the bleeder valve. If you see a big difference then, I would replace the hose. Of course you will need new pads and maybe rotors if they got that hot.

Back