1991 Explorer Test from Motorweek Classic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Explorer Test from Motorweek Classic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

9.9 sec in 1991....that a amazing feat

Very cool to see that. Curious how they managed to squeal tires from a stop on the drag strip. Wonder if they loaded up the converter before the launch.

Got to agree on the fuel economy, but I've never had issue with the brakes. Perhaps a 91 thing? And the power was bumped up a bit in 93/94. Can't complain about the engine note like they did.

The off road "test" was neat. I guess I'm the 1 in 10. I've used my Explorer for just about every purpose possible.

I thought the braking test performance was interesting too...my brakes stock, I would never consider very good. They are solid and strong, now with rear disk's and performance pads.

Indeed very interesting videos, I enjoyed them both.

I've not had to do a panic stop on pavement with my 1991 but I could see how the brakes would be lackluster. Maybe the 1993/1994 variants are better with a whole lot smarter ABS setup. I know I wish mine had 4WABS this winter...

On my 94, the brakes are good even by today's standards. I've towed cars on flat beds with it, and never felt uncomfortable. When I finally gave up and deleted the ABS, it still felt good. I have panic stopped a few times for deer. I don't swerve.

My 93 has WAAAAY better brakes than our 2010 Toyota Corolla does. 45mph to a dead stop in an emergency no problem. Not sure why I keep reading/hearing things about 1st Gen brakes being "bad" - they are not, and even if they needed frequent replacement, no biggie - takes me 30 min a side in front on my 93. I also drove a 91 many moons ago (a girl I was dating got a 91 EB with auto because she liked my truck - they all do - it was a slug, but the brakes were the same as my 93).

I ran Explorer Express slotted rotors with Performance Friction carbon metallic pads for a few years on my Explorer, and it actually stopped pretty well, although those were very dusty pads. Not sure if you can even buy those pads anymore. The EE rotors are unobtainable now, too I bet.

My current setup are Wagner plain rotors and Wagner semi-metallic pads. It's not as good as the above, but it's decent. Dusting is very low, probably the lowest dusting pad I've run on this truck.

I think it's pretty hard to do a burnout in an Explorer with 3.27's. Maybe with old tires.

I can do it with 3.27's, but I have to dump the clutch. Being as most 4 doors were autos, its tough. My 4 door auto with 3.73 I doubt would do that. A chip is about all I can get. I seem to remember 0-60 being closer to 12 seconds as well.

I run a standard rotor with Brakebest Ceramic (O'Reilly house brand) pads. They make almost zero dust and last a long time. I've never touched the rear brakes in 55k miles, they were an unknown when I bought the truck so who knows. But it stops damn quick. Never had any complaints with braking.

3.27 gears, I doubt I could do a burnout with the tires I have but as stated above maybe old all-seasons could. Wouldn't put my A4LD through that.

I enjoyed the videos. wish I could still go buy one off the showroom floor.........

our 94 stops decent but I would prefer the rear ABS . just did a fuel tank sender and lines w/new quick connects. love how simple this thing is to work on compared to new stuff.

wife loves it! I wish the 1st generation would have been built with a small diesel engine and 5spd trans. I would own a fleet of them!:D

If you have a 94, then it should have 4wabs from the factory, iirc. Mine does, and it'll stop DAMN fast!!

If you have a 94, then it should have 4wabs from the factory, iirc. Mine does, and it'll stop DAMN fast!!

my 94 has 4w abs but I liked the braking of the rear abs like my 91 had. stopping distance was never an issue either but the pedal sure felt better to me.
braking hauling a trailer seemed to be much better.

That means you had air in the system. 4 wheel ABS or nothing IMO. 2 wheel ABS is equivalent to just pumping your brakes.

The two systems should feel the same normally. The difference is 4 WABS generally chatters all 4 wheels when you break traction, where 2 WABS pumps the rear brakes. If the petal felt different, you had air in the lines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My brakes generally SUCK wet or dry, tried several pads/rotors. The ABS kicks on at only moderate pressure sometimes, panic, it locks & I skid I hear the groaning of the system & I eventually stop. Have to be really careful in the rain. Maybe my ABS is screwed up.
4 explorers & all had 3.27's, I was never able to chirp any of them.

Back