How to: - 1992 Diahatsu Rocky - poor man’s rzr project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 1992 Diahatsu Rocky - poor man’s rzr project

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
Allright dudes here she is in all her glory!
My 1992 Diahatsu Rocky 4x4 purpose built rig

You see we live back in the woods, 3 miles of old, built in the 80’s, logging road we call our driveway. DIRT EVERY DAY. North Idaho has a lot of this going on.

We moved here with several Polaris machines, we had two rzrs, a 6 seat ranger, and several atv and aces. This is how we used to see Colorado, it is how we used to plow the light fluffy snow in the high country of Colorado as well… that doesn’t work here in the pnw. The snow here has its own classification…don’t t believe me? look it up! Heaviest wettest snow In North America. Rzrs on tracks no match for this road…plus you have to add cabs, heaters, wipers, and then you will be replacing ball joints, pivot bushings, bearings and tie rods every season, u joints and brakes every other season. It became clear the Polaris machines are
Made for play and for weekend warriors….
Lucky for us they were also worth what we paid for them 10 years ago. So bye bye rzrs sold my 2014 xp1k and recently my wife’s 15 xp4… we kept the atv’s and the 6 seat ranger with the cab and heat. I have way too much invested in our 2018 ranger northstar to let her go just yet.
Well I needed something to do the road, to never leave the property, and something that is tough.

In comes a 92 Diahatsu!!!
Let me explain. My stepson (lives here too) was buying a 93 explorer from a lady, her dad had died. She also had two 1992 Diahatsu Rocky’s. He got them for $150 each, yes one hundred fifty bones each. One runs drives the other was for parts. I spent about 15 minutes under his $150 white Rocky (on the lift for a lookover) and decided I just have the other one! So I gave him $1800 for it, a fair price

Mine is red, has a hard top, and was left for dead, was to be used for parts because it did not run. The people we got it from thought it was fubar because it wouldn’t run and it wouldn’t roll. Well turns out they were dragging it around their yard in 4wd with the hubs locked… the reason it wouldn’t roll is because they wound up the drivelines so tight pulling it around locked in 4wd. I shifted it into 2wd and unlocked the front hubs…. Blamo! Rolls freely. The tire was wound up so tight that when we were loading it onto the trailer one tire got in to the top of the ramp and spun a full turn and a half in front of my eyes. I was like “dang that driveline was wound up!” Realizing what happened to it I decided this is one tough little sob to not snap a u joint or yoke… a full turn and a half of bind! Anyways that solves that issue. A jumper
Box and some ether and the engine fired right up… this is when I knew it was a sweet score

Now here we are 6 months later, winter is coming and the finally got the Diahatsu all fixed up and ready for service

She got new fuel pump, filter, timing belt and tensioner, plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor, waterpump, thermostat, fresh oil change
That got it running and running perfectly! 127k miles on this unit, parts are cheap!! Not many available but what is out there is cheap.

Now that she runs I had to fix a few things, the rear leaf springs broken, one side super bad and sagging. So I rebuilt the leaf packs using supporting leafs from a ranger. Worked perfectly! 2” rear lift is the result. The front end is ifs with torsio bars, so I did a torsion twist and lifted the front 1.5” (6 turns on each side)

The exhaust had rusted out so I cut it all out and built a new exhaust, removed stock cat and muffler. I had a Gibson 2” muffler sitting around so I used that and a bunch of exhaust pipe and bits I had in the shop. As they used to say on monster garage “freebie!”

Fiddling with all the electrical fuses and relays, I was able to get the heater
Blower motor to work again, that is all it took.

So now I have a running driving stopping Diahatsu!

I love this thing. 1.6l dohc in-line 4 runs like a top. 5 speed manual, clutch feels like new. Manual t case high and low range.. I want to see if it can be twin sticked

Next I have all the interior out, the factory seats are getting some new foam and Walmart seat covers. This rig has purpose and will never leave the property,,, it is solely for commuting us up and down our road, hauling kids, gear, groceries, fuel and dogs. She will get custom racks and lights, she will have a rear mounted winch, a Ford ranger rubber floor will be trimmed down to fit

Right now I am happy with my purchase, forget Polaris utv they can never be as good as a Rocky! This little bugger is tough as nails. Fully boxed frame… Toyota product, she has found a new home… best part is we have two of these things!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

91D76555-09E6-4EFE-9DD1-B93F57418ABB.jpeg

All work is done she’s ready to rule the road!!
Studded snows too!

1000B5F7-8A04-4BD6-B19A-7C963272A830.jpeg

She needed a grill sooo… one of my old bii grills cut down a little. Actually fit with factory screws and mounting tabs lol

FF4D742E-B0DA-4206-A58A-D8ED774A6D0E.jpeg

Engine bay all buttoned up, she was a mess! I cobbled together the intake as well, the factory had two large “air mufflers” I deleted
DC9ECD9C-6F70-4E4A-9D64-A9BA98FF8E7D.jpeg

New Carter fuel
Pump. These old gas tanks actually had a drain.. thank goodness because the fuel was 12 years old.
D0890389-83FC-4390-AD79-0FD62BB6CD10.jpeg

Broken Diahatsu springs rebuilt w ranger packs
21ECCA76-1F16-42B2-9C0C-061148F0058C.jpeg

Custom 1.5 to 2” and back to 1.5” exhaust built from spare bits
03ED8EF7-CCFF-426F-9B78-899C5437AFAA.jpeg

Interior stripped,
Going back together now.

Just about everything works on this old
Rig, only
Problem I still have is the 02 sensor
Light is on… $35 Bosch 02 on its way

Enjoy! I do! Test drives complete she’s ready!

Will get roof basket and som mud tires otherwise waaaaaaay better then a rzr
Oh yeah she will be going on snow traxk asap too…. I already have the tracks

So future mods:
Rear tailgate folding cargo carrier
Roof basket
Gas can / Jerry can holders
Snow tracks
Bluetooth radio
Remote/ Auto start
Heated seats :)
Mudd tires / Body lift
Rear winch / front and rear receivers
Lots of lights

No V8? 😆 But seriously, I love these things. My old buddy literally drove us up a tree in one.

Someday I hope you post a video of you driving your driveway, I would love to see how challenging it is.

I’ll get a time lapse of our road
Mud season is interesting, snow season is by far my favorite
When we get 10-18” of snow and I have to “open the road” and scout it out I usually take my bronco :)

The road is a work in progress that is for sure

54C0B30A-08D4-4344-87A6-62052E3A4DC2.jpeg

Wife picked out some seat covers
I used duct tape and camping foam to repair the factory seats underneath
Worked out fine!
8EE0A854-8710-4A85-821F-C6929EC216E9.jpeg

2FA99D2C-D63C-4358-8697-AF004D55C584.jpeg

She runs great!
Still some bugs to work out
I need a radiator… they are $500 from the Diahatsu Rocky dudes in Washington, or you can import one from Japan yourself. I’m thinking 1988 samurai radiator for $75 and do some fancy plumbing
02 sensor light is on, and she runs out of power climbing hills in the snow. I’m thinking it’s running rich (fuel smell) due to bad 02 sensor. So new sensor on its way..

I also figured out a fan and clutch. You see a 1992 Diahatsu fan clutch is $90 and the fan is not available in USA. Lots of research later I have a 82 Tercel fan and clutch in my hands for $60 Total, all I had to do was grind out the mounting holes 1/8”

E9AA4755-F025-47DB-AB56-3F2BDFBAE86B.jpeg

Old radiator repair not holding. This radiator has about 5 repair spots on it

B11477F5-85DB-4262-89A7-3CC8FF194384.jpeg

Old Toyota car fan clutch fits Diahatsu waterpumo if you grind out the bolt slots
D9C49133-3DB2-4A95-8692-370E964960BD.jpeg

E3823E84-83EA-42A9-B38C-F8D885EEAD0E.jpeg

She broke trail for us yesterday after 10”
Of fresh snow, first storm of the year
3827B65E-1042-41F5-BB55-315E7D2A365F.jpeg

The ratchet strap is temp. Holding the back windows shut, both latches are broken. This sucker is waaaaaaaay more comfy then a Polaris utv

Well the little guy had quite a workout during our recent storm.. up and down the road,’rescuing people who did t make the hill in the sport trac I won’t mention names cough cough wife cough
She gets up to 200-210 degrees and the radiator starts to leak pretty good. Trying to climb hills she started loading up and quits. Feather the throttle and she recovers… let it sit and it starts right back up. The 02 sensor light is on, has been the whole time. Smells rich when this happens,
I’m thinking it’s loading up with fuel running rich due to bad 02 sensor.
So a Diahatsu Rocky radiator is $500 for direct fit or $300 for a diesel one I would have to make work.
Last night I ordered a $50 radiator for a 86 samurai, I will have some simple plumbing to do but it should fit nicely
Also ordered a new Bosch 02 sensor

We shall see if this fixes the issue…. I need this little bugger to be 100% so the wife will gain confidence in it

Our sport trac is still on summer tires, today I’m mounting up our new hankook ice pile studded snows, 265…. Then we will be able to make the hill with ease

Good find! I love love offbeat JDM nuggets like these. Utilitarian, comfortable with minimal mods and dead reliable.

Okay so the Diahatsu Rocky project is moving along
She’s been down for a couple of weeks for upgrades and waiting on parts

The old Toyota fan clutch and fan have been installed! It was not too difficult but did require some fancy wrenching. I had to cut the slots deeper on the fan clutch so the hub would line up w my water pump pulley bolt holes. The holes were now so close to the center hub that special Allen cap screws were needed, 6mm with lock washers and nuts. I was finally able to bolt the fan clutch and fan to the waterpump

99AA179B-77B7-42F3-BE70-EFE0D7786594.jpeg

Also installed was the $49 samurai radiator. I used bits from the factory radiator (scrap now) I cut it apart with a grinder. This gave me the bits I need to bolt to the truck. All I had to do was make a 4” wide piece of metal to pickup the side of the Sami rad. The difference in size of radiators is only about 3” of cooking core lost. I found some 1.5” coolant hoses at the local parts store and created a new upper hose extension to reach out $49 radiator. A Diahatsu Rocky radiator is $500nfrom the Rocky dudes in Washington or I can import a batch of 25 from Japan myself….no thanks! I like this $50
Option.

A383AA0B-4FA4-4E10-A308-3D152D65B193.jpeg

B783F227-3D38-41DF-AEE6-EFAA453F767B.jpeg

For the price of one Diahatsu Rocky fan clutch ($120) I was able to get a radiator fan and clutch

That was a mock up upper hose I’ll get pics of the final install

Also installed a new Bosch single wire 02 sensor. The light on the dash is still on!
I disconnected the battery, light still on. However check engine light is not on

The Diahatsu runs fantastic! Starts right up and the idle goes up for warm up mode. I learned this is normal. The idle sits at 1600-1800 for a few min then slowly climbs down to 750 or so… smooth like butter! I can drive the Rocky all over for about 10 minutes… and then when the water get to temp about 150-170 on the gauge she starts to misfire, stumble and won’t take any gas… won’t climb a hill, nada. Runs out of power. I believe the engine coolant temp sensor is faulty because it is the same thing every time. It starts runs perfectly for the first 10 minutes and then Blamo! It’s like a switch is thrown and it can’t get out of its own way.
So once she is warm the computer switches to where it actually uses the map sensor and 02 sensor to adjust timing and fuel… that’s when the misfires happens and i can’t keep going.
New ect will be here tomorrow, $60!!

A little research and picking my friends brains apparently some older Mazda and yotas had a 02 service light letting you know to change the 02 sensor at 80k Miles. Some of these had a little lever you pull behind the dash to reset the light… others you pull the bulb and reset the light or you can touch the battery cables together to reset the light. I will be trying these methods next. I see lots of Rocky owners online with the same questions “how to turn off 02 light” no answer was ever given!

Back