1992 Explorer, wont start and fuel from pours from Intake PCV inlet? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer, wont start and fuel from pours from Intake PCV inlet?

PTurner45

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer with V-6. Odd problem, a friend said the vehicle ran ok and he had to change a starter, vehicle sat for awhile and now when he attempts to crank the engine up it will not start and this is the odd part, if you continue to crank the engine over in an attempt to start it, fuel pours from the intake plenium at the PCV tube?? I also pulled a few plugs and they were def alittle to wet to fire. Is this as he is being told (possibly) a "hung" injector issue or does it sound more like a pressure regulator problem? Fuel will pour from the intake PCV inlet once you continue to try to crank the motor. Spark plugs do have fire to each.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, there is no way possible I can even dream of the fuel would pour from the PCV tube. Not to mention if it did, it could possibly end up straight into the motor, which isn't good.

Look around some more, under the upper intake a little, it sound like an injector may have blown an o-ring. If there is fuel puddled up on the lower intake, that is likely the issue.

I agree!!

I have never seen such an occurence myself and thought it odd when he told what it was doing, but I saw it first hand and it was strange. No fuel leaks or puddles noticed around upper or lower intakes but when continued to crank, if you pull the PCV hose off fuel "pours" from the PCV inlet port on the intake?? Yes I def made mention of fuel in the oil after this.
I wondered if this was a pressure regulator gone wild issue or some sudden serious leak within the injector system? in the intakes?? Any help is greatly appreciated guys....

If there is in fact fuel coming out the PCV hose, that would mean the WHOLE INTAKE is full of fuel, I'm gonna guess a gallon or two in there. I just don't see how that would be possible, one of the valves should be open which would let it go into the cylinder.

I'll ponder it more, but I just don't see how that's possible...

Thanks for any help..

I agree with you 100%, and didnt believe it till I saw it myself. It will only start to pour out the PCV inlet port once the engine has been cranked enough times then it comes streaming out even after you stop cranking then it stops a short while later. Plugs were wet, not drenched but wet.
I def thought it odd as the design of the V-6 upper intake sits quiet high for fuel to reach the PCV inlet and begin to pour out?

I agree with you 100%, and didnt believe it till I saw it myself. It will only start to pour out the PCV inlet port once the engine has been cranked enough times then it comes streaming out even after you stop cranking then it stops a short while later. Plugs were wet, not drenched but wet.
I def thought it odd as the design of the V-6 upper intake sits quiet high for fuel to reach the PCV inlet and begin to pour out?

What about the FPR.. If the FPR is leaking gas in the vacuum line it can go into the intake high enough up to possibly get into the PCV (I "think" its lower)..

~Mark

What about the FPR.. If the FPR is leaking gas in the vacuum line it can go into the intake high enough up to possibly get into the PCV (I "think" its lower)..

~Mark

I didn't think about that...but from the sounds of it it's REALLY leaking.

I guess I would pull the vacuum line on the FPR, and see if it's full of gas.

And as a precaution, if that fixes it, I would change the oil before running it more than a couple minutes.

Possibly,

My concern has been a possible issue with the fuel pressure regulator, I am just not that familiar with possible malfunctions and or complications that it may cause with relation to what I have seen. Fuel out of the PCV intake port, VERY ODD I know...

The FPR works with a diaphragm, and works off the engine vacuum. One common failure is for that diaphragm to break, causing it to stop regulating the fuel pressure and for fuel to get sucked through the vacuum line it's hooked to. It's possible we have an extreme case of that going on here.

Sounds good,

That is def an idea for me to look into tomorrow. Also, does anyone know the normal fuel pressure at the rail with the ignition switch in the on position?

Thanks so much,

I will def check pressure first, seems that if a diaphram ruptures then pressure would be off if I am correct. Then, I will check the vacume lines from the FPR....Thanks so much for the help/ideas.
If you think of anything further please let me know. I will let you know what I find out....Have a great night

fuel pressure regulator is the ONLY way you are going to get alot of gas in the upper plenum, leaking injectors would drip into cylinders

Back