1993 explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 explorers

gcruhl

Reaction score
City, State
New York,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello everyone and glad to be part of the forum. the question i have is the heat that blows inside the car doent seem to get to warm. All the indications are that the heater coil needs to be replaced. The radiator was replaced about 8 years ago. The real question is to get to the heater can I just remove the glove compartment to acsess it or do I have to remove the dash assembly. The 1993 year model dosnt say anything about removing anything from the engine compartment other than diconnecting the two hose lines. I just want to confirm if that is true.

Thank you
George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think if the heater core was clogged you would have overheating issues. It is just to hoses that are disconnected and the heater core is removed from the bottom of the dash on the passanger side. What about a thermostat that is stuck open?

The easy way to tell if the heater core is plugged; Step 1, run the engine to get to full operating temperature. Step 2, feel both of your hoses that run to the heater core, they both should be HOT. If one is hot and the other is cool/cold, your heater core is plugged. A plugged heater core will not cause your engine to overheat, there just will not be any heat in the cab. If you need to replace the heater core, disconnect the two hoses that are under the hood. There is a panel behind the glove box door. Remove this panel and the heater core is right there. Good luck and welcome to the site!

It is also possible to flush/backflush the heater core to get it flowing again. Depending on how bad it is, it may or may not work. It's worth a shot though to save a few bucks.

It is also possible to flush/backflush the heater core to get it flowing again. Depending on how bad it is, it may or may not work. It's worth a shot though to save a few bucks.

No its not worth it. If its plugged, and you "flush" it open, you could end up sending debris into the radiator, and clogging that. That will cause overheating. A new heater core should be less then $25. If its plugged, just replace it. They are easy to do on these vehicles. Its not like a mid-'90s Neon, where the ENTIRE dash, down to bare firewall, has to be removed from the car.

**damn broken internet**

Back