Oil pump R&R for 1993 Ford Explorer 4x4 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil pump R&R for 1993 Ford Explorer 4x4 Limited

Jackpiner

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
I have a 1993 Ford Explorer 4x4 Limited that is like an old friend. It has no oil pressure. I replaced the sending unit. Any one that can give me some advice on installing a new oil pump, would be appreciated. Does the motor have to come out, or can I just lift it and remove the oil pan for the R&R? Any other tips?
Thanks...(Marty)

NO oil press

Are you sure you have no oil pressure?

Are the valves noisy?

May just be the gauge.

If your sure, yes you can just lift the motor about 2" to get the pan off.

Here's some pic's of the other components involved.

You may want to check these first.

And get a manual gauge and temporarily install it where the sending unit is. To verify press. -- no press. They are cheap $15 and come with the hose and fittings.

The oil pump drive gear. (rear of engine where the distributor would be)
IMG_20131216_160202_zpsac78859f.jpg

And the Intermediate shaft (from drive gear down to pump):
_3_zps959df73b.jpg

You can also use a 1/2" drill and 1/2" wood dowel with I can't remember 3/8" hole, I think, drilled in it to fit "snug" over the shaft so you can spin the oil pump to verify oil pressure manually. Use soft wood, not hard wood dowel. Hard wood will just split when you tap it down on the shaft.

There is also a tool for this but I doubt you will find one.

No gauge required your drill will bog down noticeably and you will see oil returning down the shaft hole.

Any one else got a more "sanitary" way to spin the oil pump? I mean other than firing up the engine. Which is where I would start. short runs until proof of press. no press. with a manual gauge.

Back