• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ford Explorer 4x4 issue

Bluntmomma

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
My husband and I have been troubleshooting the 4x4 system in my 93 Explorer. We have checked the module in the rear and it is working. We checked the 4x4 motor and it also works. We checked the sensor for different values in different positions and it appears to also be working. When I push the button on the dash nothing happens, but when you manually put it into 4x4, then the button light comes on and the "4x4" light on the dash comes on...and stays on, no matter how many times I push the button. Then sometimes I push the button and my husband sees/hears the motor going, but no light on dash. Any ideas? It's like all the parts individually are working but as a whole, they are not. We tried resetting the sensor by manually putting into 4 HI and then putting it back together and starting the truck and then pushing the 4hi button. Still nothing happens. WTF?:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If nothing else is bad, there have been Explorers that have had faulty switches and/or the circuit boards on those switches. If you have a junkyard nearby, pull one off of a Ranger/Bronco/Explorer of similar generation (anything with the same style dash) and try it out. It shouldn't be overly expensive and you can almost bet that one in the junkyard would be fine, unless it's water damaged.

Typically when the 4x4 system goes bad, you get the light but no click or you get blinking lights. It sounds to me like the switch isn't even working.

Push and hold the button. Don't just tap it.

While you had the motor off did you check to see if the stop bushing was still intact? If not the plastic bushing probably just got old and broke. Arne.

Back