• Register Today It's free!

1994 explorer Auto hub question

kbalser

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
My 94 Eddie Bauer has about 150K. This truck was given to my wife by her uncle, who bought it new. It was used as a daily driver. As far as I can tell, the 4WD has hardly ever been used. The truck looks and runs great.

When we put tires on the front about a month ago, the mechanic said the wheel bearings should be adjusted. I did that, using a chiltons manual for directions. I believe I had everything lined up correctly when I tightened the lug nuts. Since then, a couple of times it sounds like the left front wheel wants to engage on its own. You hear a ticking noise, pull over and stop, back up and the noise goes away. I looked through the forums here, pulled the hub and found a lot of sticky grease. I now have the hub soaking in cleaning solvent. Maybe cleaning is all it needs. Could either myself or the guy who put the tires on have damaged something in the hub by tightening it up without everything in line? There are no clips on the studs so the hub usually comes off when you pull the wheel. I would like to take the hub apart to see if there is any damage or wear. But after removing the snap ring, I can only move the cam assembly out about a half an inch. Is it possible to take these things apart at home? I have searched through the forums here and found out a lot. But I haven't seen any directions for disassembling these hubs.
By the way, since my wife drives this car part of the time, we would like to keep the auto hubs.

Hi:

Generally speaking auto hubs are NOT meant to be serviced. This means that grease should not be added to the hubs, they are not meant to be disassemble and therefore there are no replacement parts, etc.

Some members have cleaned the auto hubs using ATF or brake cleaner (harsher) with varying degrees of success. It usually depends on the problem with the hub.

Do a search for auto hubs and you will find lots of info.

Trust that helps
PaMnd

after removing the clip the cam an sprocket come out but the washers at least in mine havnt come out one hub the plastic washer and wave spring were messed up the plastic washer gets worn out ..... he ha and the spring washer can break absructing the removal of the sprocket ...

some will go an change out the bearing underneath the sprocket but usually that is not the problem the nylon or plastic washer and spring washer disintegrates in time but i dont know exactly how to fix .. some have found the right kind of hydrolic washer to add on top to give more bite for the cams it should of had a metal washer anyway to protect the wavy washer .. but ????

the hub cam that mates with the one on the spindle fits on the sproket and can be seperated easy dont use a 95 hub cam on a 94 becouse the cams are slighly taller and will cause problems ...:/ but both cam types will fit on the sproket i made a mistake earlyer on after diasecting realized my problem

sprocket and cam should come out otherwise your hanged up on somthing broken inside

nice feature im having trouble changn a rotor im looking for the guide on auto hubs to define the wrenches used ordered the wrong socket size its not 2 1/2 " 6r to take off the wheel nuts is it 2 3/8" ??? since the cam obstructs the the wheel nut i can only see 3 sides visable to unscrew the lock nut for the wheel how do i take it off ????

Back