1994 Explorer Sport - Window replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer Sport - Window replacement?

I have a 1994 Ford Explorer Sport (2-door) and need to replace the rear passenger side window, which is static (doesn't open).

I know I could take it to a glass place and spend nearly $500 to have them replace it, but I can get the replacement glass for around $25 and was hoping I could try and do it myself.

Any help, suggestions, or references to both removing and replacing this glass would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks!

JP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

easy as 1,2,3 :p:
292tu7q.jpg
+
34rbz49.jpg
=
2h7lzk8.jpg

Yes, semi-large read side window

On an Explorer Sport there are only 3 windows on each side, the door window, then the pop out/hinged window, then the rear panel window (static - doesn't open).

It IS over the rear tire and is angled and not truly square (trapizoid?).

Considering that this vehicle is pretty old... a second vehicle... currently wearing plastic over the window area, I'm not REAL concerned about doing a "perfect job," but want to make it at least look much better AND be somewhat secure (lockable).

All the online references talk about door windows or suggest that a person shouldn't do this themselves, but like I said... this is NOT a 2008 and is NOT THAT pretty right now (small rust, small dent in front).

Any help or references on tools needed, removal of old glass (parts of it remain), and replacement of new glass, would be MOST appreciated. There's a DIY junk yard in town that has a 1994 Explorer Sport in their lot, so all I need to do is remove it and they quoted me $24 for the glass.

Thanks,
JP

Hmmmmmm
I am trying to remember how they did the 94

I know on the second gens that glass is held in with a bunch of 11mm bolts and some stickey good.

It can easily be done with a helper.

The biggest thing is going to be getting the interrior trim pannel out of your way.
Once you do that remove all the 11mm nuts.
Then with a razor knife and a pair of gloves start cutting the stickey goo between the glass and the body. Once you get that stuff cut up reasonably well, start pushing outward inch by inch. Have your helper out there to stop the glass from plummiting to the earth or your quarter pannel. That stickey good will get every where. Dont think that it wont. Have pleanty of goo-gone or something along those lines.

Going back in, remove ALL the stickey goo. When you get your glass stop by an automotive glass shop and get a roll of "window kit" They should be able to tell you what size. I believe it is 3/8.
Put the window kit on the glass.
Put the glass in the truck. As your helper holds the glass tighten the 11mm nuts bit by bit one at a time.
The nuts should be pretty tight but dont go ape s__t on them.

Hopefully your 94 will be the same. Good luck and let me know if you need any more help.

MONMIX: The nuts should be pretty tight but dont go ape s__t on them.

I know this has nothing to do with this thread. But I almost ruined my monitor because I spit coke all over it reading this line.

Looks like I won't have to try and attempt it myself, since the used auto parts (salvage) that has the window is also hooking me up with "a guy" who will install the window for $40.

That will probably be my best bet. The nearly $500 price tag at most auto glass places for both the glass and the install, was just way more than I'd care to spend. There's some other more important mechanical work that needs done as well, so any BIG bucks will be spent on important things, such as brakes.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions...

JP

MONMIX: The nuts should be pretty tight but dont go ape s__t on them.

I know this has nothing to do with this thread. But I almost ruined my monitor because I spit coke all over it reading this line.

Dont drink wile reading my posts...

Back