1995 E-4WD Aerostar with a flashing E-4WD light. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 E-4WD Aerostar with a flashing E-4WD light.

tmikey

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Aerostar AWD
Hi folks, newbie here. My 4wd light started blinking today - twice then a pause. Owner's manual said to have it serviced soon. Had to get to a doctor's appt. and it seemed to be driving ok, so off I went. Drove fine until I arrived at the doctor's office, at which point the front wheels felt like they were going to lock up at every turn through the parking lot. Finally got it backed into a parking space (presuming that I was going to have to have it towed when I came out) and pulled up your site on the handy android phone to try and see what might be going on. Thank God (and you guys!!!) I found a thread where someone described exactly the same problem, and said that he had been able to at least make the van drivable by unplugging the control module under the driver's seat, and that this is an ok temporary fix for this issue. I did that and drove it around the lot a few times and then home without issue. Got home and cleaned the contacts on the transfer case sensor connections and at the control module, didn't help. Now I need to find a source for the sensors, and am I right that this year has a sensor at the rear axle also? Didn't clean that one, yet. Also I'm curious as to the status of the system while the control module is unplugged. Are all four wheels getting equal power at this point, just the rear two, 70/30 split or what exactly? Thanks so much for any help with this, this is my 7th Aerostar (yes, you read that right) and I've put over 225K on all of them, but this is my first AWD version and I'm in new territory here. Thanks again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! The flashing light corresponds to a trouble fault code number. The system reverts to a RWD when the E-4WD is inoperative. Did you plug in the module after cleaning it to see if the same flashing light came back?

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I plugged it back in after cleaning all the sensor connections, then re-attached the negative on the battery. Started it up and was still getting the 2-blink code. I know from the info that this site has given me that this code is related to discontinuity to the clutch coil or clutch connector, and based on the front end behavior at the doctor's parking lot and a related Ford service memo, the sensors are my next logical step. I don't need the source for sensors anymore, however, because I bought a brand new Dana 28 transfer case off ebay last night for $159!!! Complete with wiring harness and everything, could not believe it! I'll install that when I get it and report back with the results.

Since this is a procedure that I've never tackled before, I'm not sure if it's going to be a DIY'er for me. If it looks like I can handle it once I have it in my hands, I'll be happy to do that.

Back