1995 Explorer limited?

racepics

Reaction score
City, State
Ravenna, MI.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Limited
Hey Gang,
I am new here but I thought this is the place to ask.

I have a 95' explorer limited and a couple days ago the heater blower motor stayed on after shutting the off and pulling the key I ended up pulling the fuse out to make it stop. I have been told a few things like ignition switch, digital heater control panel or the blower motor resistor.
So I am asking before I start tearing out and replacing parts that are not needed.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

look for a relay that's getting stuck in the ON position. that's about all it could be if it stays running after the key is turned off. it should be the relay for the blower motor, but it could be something totally unrelated, because power will often back-feed through the electrical system.

that relay is in the front near the airbox - you can access it without removing the airbox - your manual says there is a blower motor relay and a high speed ground relay - my 95 does not have the automatic hvac - it does not have the high speed ground relay - not sure if your does (but my guess is that it is present in yours)

Well I plugged the fuse back in an of course the blower started then I started pulling relays and I pulled all that I could find and no luck the blower stayed running. I found the relay module that Sloop said however there was no relays in there. I am open to any other theories please.

Well I plugged the fuse back in an of course the blower started then I started pulling relays and I pulled all that I could find and no luck the blower stayed running. I found the relay module that Sloop said however there was no relays in there. I am open to any other theories please.

well power is finding it's way to the blower motor somehow. does anything else work with the key OFF that shouldn't (radio, power windows, wipers, ect)? do you have the automatic or manual HVAC controls?

if other things that should not work with the key OFF are working, then perhaps you do have an ignition switch issue.

No nothing else works. Also the blower speed is always on high.
It is the automatic HVAC

No nothing else works. Also the blower speed is always on high.
It is the automatic HVAC

we had another poster here, a week or 2 ago, with a similar problem. the high speed only blower fan condition is usually caused by a faulty blower module. he had replaced his, but that didn't solve the problem. he eventually replaced the EATC module and that did solve his problem, however i don't recall that his blower ran with the key off.

free wiring diagrams:
http://search.ebscohost.com/. Use RRCC and rebsco when signing in

i could be wrong, but a quick look at the '95 A/C wiring diagram (which includes the blower fan motor) indicates one side of the blower motor is wired HOT AT ALL TIMES on the fuse side (PNK/WHT wire) and the other wire (ORG/BLK wire) goes to the blower control module. as i don't see a ground for the motor, the ground must come from the control module, which controls the motor speed. maybe your problem is with the control module. i wouldn't have thought the motor would have power with the key OFF, but it looks like that's what the wiring diagram shows. the control module is found at the 5:00 position relative to the blower motor, under the hood on the passenger side. it's held in with 2 small bolts. on the non-automatic HVAC models, this is where the blower resistor is found.

so the problem appears to be that your blower motor is somehow receiving a ground when it shouldn't and not power.

bump

Well that was the problem. It was nice to plug the fuse in and not have the blower start up :)
Thanks for the help guys!

Back