1995 Ford Explorer Radio Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Ford Explorer Radio Replacement

Devin Wright

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
So, I made a post in this forum LITERALLY a year ago (well, it was October 2nd of last year but close enough) Where I asked: "What's the best and cheapest radio for a 1995 Ford Explorer XLT." And well, "best and cheapest" Really doesn't go together. Reason I said it like that was well, I was working a crappy job at the time. But, times have changed, and I now am a Dye Machine Operator at A&E and make $14 an hour. I've looked ALLLLLLL over the place for a factory or OEM radio but they just seem hard to come by or I'm looking in the wrong places. I have the radio with the JBL sound system that has the "DSP" button. My radio got cooked over a year ago when my dad hooked the battery cables up backwards seeing if my battery or alternator was messed up. He wasn't paying attention. He just INSISTED he do it himself for me. BIIIIG ****ing mistake. Honestly lucky it was JUST my radio. Now, I will say. I don't know if it cooked my sound system/speakers. But I know my radio is toast.

Now, truth be told, I know nothing about radios. Don't care for them really. As long as they work I don't care. When it comes down to cars, I can only do the basics. Tire change, oil/oil filter change, spark plugs + wires, ya know, stuff most people can do to keep ya car running. I do want to keep the price as low as I can. REALLY do not wanna spend over $60-$70 but if the radio looks good and people back it up then I'll probably go for it.

As ya guessed, it's 2018, and since a lot of music is now digital/online, I'd want an aux cord adapter, and also a CD player because I still like CD's. Anything like touchscreen or crap like that I don't care about. I'll go for a radio with nothing but buttons and a small screen as fast as I would a radio with a touchscreen.

So ya, shoot my way what you beautiful people can do!

At $60-70 you are still looking for the cheapest there is. At that price just go to Walmart and get whatever Dual is on sale, or go to amazon and get a Power Accoustic. You will be getting what you pay for, and you will get a few years of service out of it, probably.

You’ll also need a dash install kit, and wiring to run to the doors, unless you want to remove the rear cargo cover to bypass the factory amp. I’d also consider a set of cheap 6x8s tpnreplace the front speakers as well.

Crutchfield.com

seriously. they have the harnesses to make an aftermarket head unit work with your jbl stuff. You'll need something aftermarket to get an Aux input jack , or better yet, wireless streaming

That’s assuming the factory amp isn't toast as well.

Back