1996 Ex Sport OHV head gaskets replacement | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ex Sport OHV head gaskets replacement

Removing and replacing head is not too hard of a job if you have a little knowledge and some tools. About the only specialty tool would be the Torx bit for the head bolts. I replaced mine in a couple hours, minus cleaning parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Removing and replacing head is not too hard of a job if you have a little knowledge and some tools. About the only specialty tool would be the Torx bit for the head bolts. I replaced mine in a couple hours, minus cleaning parts.
It took me 10 hours to change spark plugs, wires, and stabilizer bar end links a couple of weeks ago

I used half the bottle in my OHV and it was enough to stop coolant from getting into the cylinder, and then some, as I still have trace amounts in the coolant after new heads and the majority of the coolant being replaced.

I used half the bottle in my OHV and it was enough to stop coolant from getting into the cylinder, and then some, as I still have trace amounts in the coolant after new heads and the majority of the coolant being replaced.
I think with the K-seal I'm down on power a bit. It runs nice, perfect idle, but seems it was a bit peppier in the past. May have lost an MPG or so too. Hard to invest $600 in a truck that is rusty and not worth much more though. I looked at the frame, tapped it with a hammer and it is still solid. Ford did something right there. The rockers are gone though, the EB trim is barely attached.. So that makes it road legal here at least. Probably could be welded up for under $500.

My neighbor borrowed mine and said it feels more powerful than his new imprezza :lol:.

I think with the K-seal I'm down on power a bit. It runs nice, perfect idle, but seems it was a bit peppier in the past. May have lost an MPG or so too. Hard to invest $600 in a truck that is rusty and not worth much more though. I looked at the frame, tapped it with a hammer and it is still solid. Ford did something right there. The rockers are gone though, the EB trim is barely attached.. So that makes it road legal here at least. Probably could be welded up for under $500.

My neighbor borrowed mine and said it feels more powerful than his new imprezza :lol:.

I own a 2000 that’s been in Florida it’s whole life so no major rust here and my rocker panels even have factory rubber coating on them still. I spent $2000 to have the heads replaced including all the related parts. It was an easy choice for me as this is the only vehicle I’m interested in driving for the foreseeable future, and it was my first car in 2011. Luckily my transmission is still going strong at 258,000 miles. The engine does run better after new heads but it still feels tired. I’ll be replacing it with a Ford reman engine after I finish college next spring. I can imagine it idling already. Smooth.

E701252F-4AA1-40D1-B2C5-BDA5EAD5A709.jpeg

I own a 2000 that’s been in Florida it’s whole life so no major rust here and my rocker panels even have factory rubber coating on them still. I spent $2000 to have the heads replaced including all the related parts. It was an easy choice for me as this is the only vehicle I’m interested in driving for the foreseeable future, and it was my first car in 2011. Luckily my transmission is still going strong at 258,000 miles. The engine does run better after new heads but it still feels tired. I’ll be replacing it with a Ford reman engine after I finish college next spring. I can imagine it idling already. Smooth.

View attachment 168068
I guess people still love their rangers and explorers for ford to be selling these engines 20years down the road.

Still, if you have good compression, the bottom end is very unlikely to fail. Maybe the timing components wear a bit. I don't think you will do much better with a new one. I would do a compression and leakdown test before spending that money. I know these engines can go 500K easy.

What rear end ratio do you have?

I guess people still love their rangers and explorers for ford to be selling these engines 20years down the road.

Still, if you have good compression, the bottom end is very unlikely to fail. Maybe the timing components wear a bit. I don't think you will do much better with a new one. I would do a compression and leakdown test before spending that money. I know these engines can go 500K easy.

What rear end ratio do you have?

3.55 gears. They’re great on the highway. Only problem is I don’t do any highway driving. Mostly stop and go.

3.55 gears. They’re great on the highway. Only problem is I don’t do any highway driving. Mostly stop and go.
I think the 4.10s wake it up. It revs on the highway though. Don't like going over 60.

I think the 4.10s wake it up. It revs on the highway though. Don't like going over 60.

I’ve been wanting to go 3.73 for a few years now and swapping in some 16” rims instead of my stock 15”. I rarely go above 60 so I should be ok.

I’ve been wanting to go 3.73 for a few years now and swapping in some 16” rims instead of my stock 15”. I rarely go above 60 so I should be ok.
The 4.10s are for stump pulling on this rig. Especially in 4wd low.Maybe the boat launch too.

The 4.10s are for stump pulling on this rig. Especially in 4wd low.Maybe the boat launch too.

Yeah mine’s mostly a city truck, with some minor off-roading for dirt bike trails. So I don’t picture myself needing 4.10’s often. I’ve been stuck before since I’m 2WD. But I’ll be adding 4x4 auto after my new engine, so I need to swap the rear first so it’ll match the front when I do. It’s great because after all that it’ll still be less than a new ranger, but then I have to worry about someone crashing into me and the insurance company totaling my truck after all that investment.

Back