1996 Explorer sun roof

John Quinn

Reaction score
City, State
Culleoka, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Limited V8
Hello all,
I have a 1996 Explorer Ltd. Today, for the first time, the sun roof would operate to open but would not close.
I removed the upper console (all other functions were normal) and looked for any obvious signs of failure with the switch, then manually closed to roof.
Finding no signs of a burnt switch, I separated the two connectors, cleaned the contacts. and checked the window switch for loose connections.
Put it all back together and it was fine. BUT, when I turned the ignition off, the roof switch remains hot and operated the roof in both directions.
Is this an indication that the switch is taking a dive, or is there a relay that might be sticking that's keeping the switch active or "hot" and caused the initial "one way operation" problem?

Thank you in advance,
John Q.

Hi John, does the sunroof work with the key off, and any door open? Check that first before guessing something is wrong. These all have an accessory delay feature which allows the windows to operate for a short while after the key is turned off.

For the sunroof stopping or sticking, it needs lubricating. At this old age, many things are in need of some extra care. The grease and sliding parts get dried out and rough etc. Open the sunroof fully, and carefully clean the parts which you can reach, and protect the interior when doing that work. I used some PB Blaster and a little white lithium to lubricate my 91 Lincoln's sunroof, and it made it work like new.

Hi John, does the sunroof work with the key off, and any door open? Check that first before guessing something is wrong. These all have an accessory delay feature which allows the windows to operate for a short while after the key is turned off.

For the sunroof stopping or sticking, it needs lubricating. At this old age, many things are in need of some extra care. The grease and sliding parts get dried out and rough etc. Open the sunroof fully, and carefully clean the parts which you can reach, and protect the interior when doing that work. I used some PB Blaster and a little white lithium to lubricate my 91 Lincoln's sunroof, and it made it work like new.

Don,
Thank you for responding. The roof and windows do hot have that feature on this model. The problem started out of nowhere when I opened the roof half way on the road, then tried to close it when I arrived home. It would still open more, but not close. I purchased the Explorer about two years ago with 75k on it. The first thing I did was lube the rails, etc. on the roof.
Here's the weird part. I took the panel down, manually cranked the roof shut, then cleaned the contacts inside the connectors. The switch is an odd dog, and I just sprayed it with contact cleaner and checked for bad connections with an ohm meter. All was fine. I put it back together and it functioned fine, with the exception of it working with the key off. After work the next day, I tried it again, and it's all back to normal, with the roof off when the key is off. (shrugs shoulders)

I thought the accessory delay began in 95, but it could have been a 97 or 98 change.

You have clearly done the main things to check and care for, well done. I would suspect any relays which power those circuits that have malfunctioned. At this old age, any relay can go bad, but the ones I worry about are the high current and often used items. I would say find the wiring details to tell you which feed the sunroof and any similar circuits, and then I'd replace that one or others that you may think could be an issue near future.

I had my fog lights staying on about two years ago in my 98 Mercury. I rarely used those lights, but the relay was bad, it stuck closed and ran the battery down three times before I figured it out. I started collecting some new relays back then.

Back