• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer Timing Chain

gibber73

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksburg, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
I have a 1996 Explorer that I want to replace timing chain in. My repair book says I have to pull the engine. This is because oil pan needs to be pulled. The Motor is a push rod version V-6 4.0 . Can you just drop oil pan a little to get timing cover off. I really hate to pull engine if I don't have to.

gibber73

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any particular reason you want to replace it?? Should be good for life of the engine...

The motor has 167,000 miles on it. Runs good except when motor is under a load I get a lot of valve tap. I figure the timing was off a little to much caused by wear on chain tensioner. I don't think chain is bad. I think its the tensioner. But if I'm in there replacing one thing I figure I'll do it all.

gibber73

U sure what you are hearing is not "ping"?? Have you tried cleaning your MAS and/or done a decarbonizing of the engine?

I didn't think of doing that. How do you decarbonize a engine.

Thank you for your replys and helpful suggestions.

gibber73

There are several methods. There is stuff sold (seafoam) for one that you can use, or you can try the steam clean method of sucking water into a vac line I believe. Search for Decarbon / Seafoam / or go to the Singleton maintenance site. I think there are instructions there too.

Back