1996 Explorer XLT: Rear Frame "issues" | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer XLT: Rear Frame "issues"

No offense, but I don't know how you live with rust on your vehicles.

Anyways, good luck keeping it together, but sometimes it's just better and safer to let the old girl die in peace (or pieces as the case may be...sorry 🙁 )
I don't know how they live with it ether. When my Explorer's electrical system melted I got a donor that spent most of its life in Ohio. The frame, body mounts and rockers were shot. I was going to pull and keep the gas tank skid plate because mine has taken numerous hits and isn't flat anymore, but it was too rusty to bother with. Interior was perfect, which is what I wanted. One of the members here asked me to pull the front axle shafts. There was no way I was going to fight that rusty mess of a front suspension for axle shafts when I had to cut the pitman arm off the steering gear box to use it as a core. What was strange about it was the doors, hatch, and fenders didn't have a spot of rust on them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I grew up in the northeast (NY/CT/VT/NH) and never even considered purchasing a used vehicle due to rust issues. I never kept a new car for more than 2-3 for years, due to rust, and other than changing my own oil and brakes I didn't work on my own vehicles. These days (now retired and living in GA on a fixed income) I'm driving 19-20 year old, high mileage/totally rust free vehicles, I do 99%+ of my own repairs and 100% of my own maintenance. No way I'd deal with nasty rusty vehicles. The biggest issues with vehicles in the south is faded paint and cooked interiors, other than that I never have to deal with rusted nuts/bolts, rusted frames or body panels. I keep my vehicles garaged when not in use to protect the paint and interiors. BTW, I've found Ford's interiors have held up way better in the hot Sun than GM or Chrysler products.

I grew up in the northeast (NY/CT/VT/NH) and never even considered purchasing a used vehicle due to rust issues. I never kept a new car for more than 2-3 for years, due to rust, and other than changing my own oil and brakes I didn't work on my own vehicles. These days (now retired and living in GA on a fixed income) I'm driving 19-20 year old, high mileage/totally rust free vehicles, I do 99%+ of my own repairs and 100% of my own maintenance. No way I'd deal with nasty rusty vehicles. The biggest issues with vehicles in the south is faded paint and cooked interiors, other than that I never have to deal with rusted nuts/bolts, rusted frames or body panels. I keep my vehicles garaged when not in use to protect the paint and interiors. BTW, I've found Ford's interiors have held up way better in the hot Sun than GM or Chrysler products.
Dealers and owners are so desperate here they bondo frames. I went with a friend to check out an F-150 from a reputable dealer. I told them to put it on the lift. The frame was black and looked too good (boxed frame). I had my strong pickup magnet with a light. You could imagine the rest :lol:. Some of the bondo was near attachment points too.

The owner said he was duped and he truly feels bad. He bought it at auction and looked under it quickly, only to see nice black. The next day the truck was off the site. The place has a 5* rating, so maybe he is telling the truth. He said he is using a magnet next time.

Dealers and owners are so desperate here they bondo frames. I went with a friend to check out an F-150 from a reputable dealer. I told them to put it on the lift. The frame was black and looked too good (boxed frame). I had my strong pickup magnet with a light. You could imagine the rest :lol:. Some of the bondo was near attachment points too.

The owner said he was duped and he truly feels bad. He bought it at auction and looked under it quickly, only to see nice black. The next day the truck was off the site. The place has a 5* rating, so maybe he is telling the truth. He said he is using a magnet next time.

One of the YouTuber's I follow bought a 2008 Ford F150 4WD a couple of years ago for like $400 (w/4 new tires) in NH. The body and interior looked great, but the frame was totally rusted through and the seller couldn't find a buyer for it. The Youtuber that bought it had to weld in multiple pieces to steel to make the frame roadworthy, but ended up with a nice truck for under $1000 for his efforts. fordtechmakuloco, who also lives in a rust-belt state, has a video warning buyers to check the frames of used Ford P/U's carefully before buying.

Ford has never seemed to be concerned with protecting their frames from rust.

Ford has never seemed to be concerned with protecting their frames from rust.
And Toyota? I looked at a used Tundra, then I check Toyota history, the last owner had it checked out for "heavy rot on the frame." I guess they didn't feel it met the warranty criteria.

Frame swap is an option if you really like your truck

Attachments

• 20200716_214234.jpg
    20200716_214234.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 53

Back