1996 Ford Explorer Stutters/sputters and shuts off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford Explorer Stutters/sputters and shuts off

Clarence38

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Limited
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer Limited Edition. I have been noticing the engine stuttering and shutting off after shutting the vehicle off and letting it cool down for about 20/30mins. I start the engine up again and the battery gauge bounces around, the engine stutters, and it shuts off. I try to start the engine again give it a little throttle and afterwards it does good no problems. My alternator is good, the engine has new oil, new filter, fuel pump works, and I'm not sure about the fuel filter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel pump is not holding prime
Imo. Time for a new pump
Next time cycle the key a few times then start it

LMO fuel pump was replaced in 2013
fuel pump has no problem holding a prime
1st time starting it up it has zero problems.
fuel pump doesn't make any awkward noises while driving etc.

Good luck

Disconnect, clean, and tighten your battery terminals. Check and clean frame grounds.

Check your fuel pressure at various times to collect data. Key on/engine off, idling, etc.

Any codes?

Last time plugs and wires were done?

Does the tach jump around erratically or go to zero? Or does it correlate to what the engine is doing?

Disconnect, clean, and tighten your battery terminals. Check and clean frame grounds.

Check your fuel pressure at various times to collect data. Key on/engine off, idling, etc.

Any codes?

Last time plugs and wires were done?

Does the tach jump around erratically or go to zero? Or does it correlate to what the engine is doing?
Battery Terminals: Clean
Fuel Pressure: Good pump is working hear a whin when turning key
Codes: Zero
Spark Plugs, wires, and Coil replaced in the past 5 months.

Could it be the manifold gaskets letting cold air in?
I installed a Short Ram Intake but I don't think that would cause problems.

It only does this after the engine has been running for a while.

1st start of the day no problems and I drive it 50 60 miles come home shut the vehicle off wait about 20-30mins come back out and restart the engine. After that it starts to stutter and shuts off unless I give it a little rev afterwards the engine is fine.

Check actual radiator coolant level.
Check Coolant temp sensor.

Classic tired fuel pump symptom. It is 10 years old.

A coolant temp sensor comes to mind
Wold look at it on a scanner at different times see if its accurate

Also use the scanner to read fuel trims. If you have a massive vacuum leak, it’ll show up in the trims

A ‘worse when hot’ thing could be a vac leak…but most likely failing fuel pump, failing sensor (ECT, crank position, etc), cracked ignition coil

A coolant temp sensor comes to mind
Wold look at it on a scanner at different times see if its accurate
I recently replaced the coolant temp sensor. Could air in the system cause it to do this?

I recently replaced the coolant temp sensor. Could air in the system cause it to do this?
There are two coolant temp sensors.
1. For the temp gauge.
2. One for the PCM

There are two coolant temp senors.
1. For the temp gauge.
2. One for the PCM
Replaced both so I'm lost on what else it could be.

386349282_237330015989706_6526601324297804137_n.jpg

386360214_237330029323038_1198465638991712790_n.jpg

Yes, low coolant, which would be air on the ect sensor would do this.

Actual level of radiator ( not reservoir) ?

It looks like you installed a new intake manifold...yes? If so, did this issue arise immediately / shortly after ?

Oh hey. That oil fill vent tube needs to be run to the intake tube, otherwise unmetered air is getting in behind the maf sensor thru the pcv

Oh hey. That oil fill vent tube needs to be run to the intake tube, otherwise unmetered air is getting in behind the maf sensor thru the pcv
Oh yeah I know I removed the hose to move the short ram intake off the throttle body. I have the hose install currently.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It looks like you installed a new intake manifold...yes? If so, did this issue arise immediately / shortly after ?
This intake manifold was already installed when I purchased the vehicle. This explorer is a 4L V6 Pushrod engine.

Back