1996 Ford Explorer Stutters/sputters and shuts off | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford Explorer Stutters/sputters and shuts off

You need to check fuel pressure especially when it dies

Hearing the pump run and seeing pressure in the rail is one step, actually checking the pressure is next needs to be 36-42 psi

The mas air sensor maybe filthy from your new air intake. The breather hose needs to be installed for the crankcase breather

Intake gasket o rings will not cause the issue you are having

I suspect fuel flow issue or battery cables right off the batt
You said the fuel filter condition is in known

Maybe time for a new pump, strainer and filter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If this is the case why does it only do it after the engine has been running for a while and not on 1st startup?

Because fuel pumps get hot and lose the ability to make pressure this is a classic fuel pump issue

When somebody says it starts and runs great u til it gets hot, sputters (running out of fuel) dies (out of fuel) let it cool off… pump is able to build pressure again and it starts right back up

We have been on this forum since 1999 doing this

The first responses to your post were “fuel pump”

As a mechanic instead of spending your money on parts you don’t need I have to eliminate things as the potential cause. First thing I check is fuel pressure
Second thing I check is fuel pressure when the issue occurs (hot)

Because fuel pumps get hot and lose the ability to make pressure this is a classic fuel pump issue

When somebody says it starts and runs great u til it gets hot, sputters (running out of fuel) dies (out of fuel) let it cool off… pump is able to build pressure again and it starts right back up

As a mechanic instead of spending your money on parts you don’t need I have to eliminate things as the potential cause. First thing I check is fuel pressure
Second thing I check is fuel pressure when the issue occurs (hot)A

Second thing I check is fuel pressure when the issue occurs (hot)
Alright I check into a fuel pump since that’s what you all think.

The other option is to blindly throw money at it. It’s definitely your choice.

Yes the pcm
Coolant sensor or ect is mounted to the pass side of the cam sensor in the heater
hose Metal Manifold, the other coolant sensor is the one for the computer. The one pictured is for the gauge on the dash

Not the fuel pump
Fuel pump is not holding prime
Imo. Time for a new pump
Next time cycle the key a few times then start it
Not the fuel pump I noticed the voltage meter decrease as the engine is about to shutoff. I crank the engine it does the same but when I rev the engine the voltage meter goes back to normal and the vehicle runs fine. Recently replaced the alternator with a 95amp carquest professional alternator and my battery is new to. So other than the fuel pump what else could it be?

The new alternator may hav bad diode in it that is a small possibility
Check for AC voltage when its running

96 should have a 135 amp alternator
Do not use remanufactured alternators only new or rebuild it yourself (ma and pa type alternator shop reman ok! Cheapo parts store reman not ok)

Check battery terminals and cables
Check alternator charge cables as well make sure all connections clean and tight

Back