• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ranger Rake

expated

Reaction score
City, State
West Chester, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ranger XLT
I have a 1996 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD 4.0L Auto 145K miles that needs new shocks all around. Currently the fronts are KYB Gas Adjust (second shocks on vehicle) and the backs are original (long overdue for replacement). I am thinking about eliminating the front rake. The current height from the ground to the bottom of the fenders is 32.5” front and 35.5” at the rear. I’m running 265-75-15 tires. It’s a daily driver and I don’t off-road at all. What are some of the things I need to consider? Springs or spacers and how will this affect my shock selection. FYI-when I do this project I’ll be installing new hard brake lines too. Original ones are starting to rust and I like stopping.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The quickest, cheapest way to do this is to remove the stock lifting blocks from the back. With this method, you won't have to pay for an alignment. Then you can simply replace everything with stock shocks, etc. You'll likely want to replace the u-bolts.

You can see the stock lift block underneath the springs in this picture:
leaf.png

Alternatively, you can replace the front spring with a slightly taller one. I used a Skyjacker 132X that ran about $130 for the pair. (note: I didn't just level my truck, but raised both the front and back, so I can't confirm this "levels" it.) Your alignment shop will probably also want new -2 camber adjustment sleeves installed like the Skyjacker 1039H ($40 each).

Summitracing has a decent product filter tool that lets you get part numbers for shocks, etc if you have a lift. Their site isn't always 100% accurate, but for shocks it worked for me. Search shocks, then limit the results for your vehicle with the filters at the left. You can choose the amount of lift you have. Once you have the part number you want, price shop the web.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Troy but I have no lifting blocks to remove. I'll check out your other recommendation too. Initially I thought leveling the front end would make it sit nice but if I'm gonna run into geometry and drivability issues I may just install KYB Gas Adjust all around and call it a day.

Are you sure you don't have them, did you look? They have a big 'wing' that sticks out toward the diff, for the bumpstop to contact.

Anything you do to raise the front will require an alignment at the least. You generally can lift the front 2" without needing to replace the camber adjusters.
Search here for coil spacers, you could get 1"-1.5" cheaper than new coils.

Or keep a couple full sandbags back by the tailgate, that'll lower the rear some. ;)

Thanks Ranger X, I checked earlier today but I'll take another look tomorrow. I like your coil spacer idea...

Also, just as a side story, when that generation Ranger came out in 93, enough people didn't like the rake that a San Diego shop started doing tapered body lifts. That was the first mod I did to my truck. It's 3" in the front, and tapering down to 0" at the back. Not suggesting it to you though.

Back