• Register Today It's free!

1996 XLT Power Lock Issues

ejscarfo

Reaction score
City, State
Islip, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
Hi. This is my first posting here, but this is my second Explorer. Here is my problem. I have just got a hold of a 1996 Explorer XLT with the 5.0 V8 and AWD in good condition. There are few issues with it, but nothing major. The ones I want to address I am posting now.

Ok, first issue, the keyless entry fob will unlock all the doors, but it will not lock the front passenger door. Is this a receiver problem? Also, the driver's power door lock button will not unlock all the doors, but it will lock them. Is this a programming thing or do I need to start replacing parts? I haven't taken anything apart yet to check for broken wires etc, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced stuff like this and can tell me how they fixed them.

Any help is appreciated!

OK, so I did some simple observations yesterday and I think the problem with the passenger side lock lies with the accuator. It looks like the rod wants to go down when you're locking it electronically but it seems to be getting hungup. You can lock the door manually though and unlocks electronically with the key fob or switch. So can the accuator be adjusted or do I just need to replace it?

On the driver's side power lock switch I am suspecting a broken wire. What color is the wire for the unlock? I am sure the culprit lies within the drum that's thats between the door and body. I'd rather it be the switch, be an easier fix.

Back