• Register Today It's free!

1997 AC randomly doesn't engage

wesalexleft

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountaineer V8 4.6L
I had to replace the accumulator/drier two seasons ago, due to it rusting out. When I replaced it, I also replaced the orifice tube, vacuumed everything down, and recharged with the correct amount of R134A. The AC worked fine all last year, but towards the very end of the season, the AC quit. I'd assumed it had another leak that I never found such as an o ring. So this week (just getting warm here), I set about finding the leak, only to find the charge is just fine. With good gauges, and an 80 degree day, I started the truck and got 43 low side, and 230 high side after getting truck to temp with AC on high. COLD AC from the vents. Then yesterday, it wasn't working again...started messing with controls, and eventually, it came on again. I wish I had more info, but I guess I won't until it cuts out again, and I can try and troubleshoot. I wanted to ask if anyone else had this problem, and what it was. I'm hoping it's dash/electrical related, and not the high pressure switch, compressor, or other. Any ideas? I'm not sure if it began working because I was fiddling with controls, or if it just decided to engage.

thanks,

Anyone else have this problem? It's been working all summer, and then cut off again today. It's not a charge issue. Tomorrow starts troubleshooting, but if anyone has been through this already, I'll check their area first since it seems that most of the problems present as the same weak point to others also. Thanks.

Back