1997 Aerostar. E-4WD help needed with CV axle replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Aerostar. E-4WD help needed with CV axle replacement.

capitol

Reaction score
Hi,
Do anybody know how to replace CV axle on passenger and driver side on Aerostar 1997 E4WD 4.0?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you. The only problem I have is how to remove the allen screws from back of the axle to transfer case. I did try 6mm and 1/4 long drivers and they goes in very shallow and start slipping in screw. Thanks for any help.

1997 Aerostar front differential axle removal & installation.

This photo was in my Ford software.

Attachments

• 1997 Aerostar front differential axle removal & installation..JPG
    1997 Aerostar front differential axle removal & installation..JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 4,597

Thank you BrooklinBay but my question was what to use to remove this four allen screws connecting axle with transfer case? I am stock in this part. This is only what I have left to remove the axle.

They are long but the problem is you have to use lots off force and if you do that, they still not turning. Is very easy to damage those screws and one they are damaged it will be very hard to unscrew them. So, anything else you can think about it. I was thinking to drill the heads out. What is your idea?
Thanks again
derek

Thanks BrooklinBay. I will try use extractor socket tomorrow. I think this is the only way to get them out. Everything else did go straight forward just those 4 allen screws. They just not deep enough to get a good grip.
Thanks again
Derek

I went through this once, I picked up the correct socket system, then was able to use my long extension and an impact, now I can do one in about 20 minutes, once you figure the quirks out, it is a very simple job.

Back