• Register Today It's free!

CV axle replacement help?

ducrnd

Reaction score
City, State
N,Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 xlt
I am going to replace my CV axles on my 2001 xlt,4L sohc, 4x4 automatic.
my question is which axle seals do I need for this? I cann not find an answer . I have seen listing for two different numbers and all relating to my model.
Any help would be greatly received..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those front axle seals are different left and right, for the AWD/4WD versions. You can use any application from 95-01 for those, the axle seals and axles are the same for all of those Explorers. Get a good brand, those are not parts to go cheap on, because they are very hard to replace. You don't want to have to ever replace them, so get the best. Ford is very good, SKF also, I like those the best for seals lately.

Those front axle seals are different left and right, for the AWD/4WD versions. You can use any application from 95-01 for those, the axle seals and axles are the same for all of those Explorers. Get a good brand, those are not parts to go cheap on, because they are very hard to replace. You don't want to have to ever replace them, so get the best. Ford is very good, SKF also, I like those the best for seals lately.
not to sound like a dolt, but the 2 you listed are for the explorer, right and left cv axles? i just want to be sure im ordering the correct ones

i listed one for right, and one for left... confirm thats the right for your application before ordering, and all should be good!

not to sound like a dolt, but the 2 you listed are for the explorer, right and left cv axles? i just want to be sure im ordering the correct ones

I glanced at the RA parts that Fix4Dirt linked to, and the pictures look correct. If they are SKF and listed for any of the 95-01 Explorers(AWD or 4WD, front), then they should be the correct parts. The overlap of applications in the 1999-2003 range of various models, Sport, Sport Trac, Ranger, those often have some mixed up parts or part numbers, or pictures. It's easier to hunt parts for the prior years, if you know they are the same.

So for your 01 Explorer, also check for a 1998 Explorer, if the part numbers match, then they should be the correct axle seals or axles.

i listed one for right, and one for left... confirm thats the right for your application before ordering, and all should be good!
thank you kindly.

Back