1997 Aerostar parking brake cable replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Aerostar parking brake cable replacement.

john sullivan

Reaction score
City, State
pueblo Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ford aerostar
When trying to replace the front parking brake (handle) cable, I cant find enough slack to reattach at the mid bracket underneath. I have both rear drums off and confirmed that the left and right cable springs are completely compressed after I used a ratched style tie down to pull the mid bracket forwaed the maximum amount. I have also taken the spring tension on the unlocked/relaxed brake handle cable wheel rotated completely forward until it stops, and locked in place with vise grips. At this position the slack spring end looks to be about straight up and the cable ball end seems to look about straight forward, as well as the lower hole for an alignment pin matching up. There are no kinks anywhere in the cables and the cable housing ends are snapped into the holes in the body fully. Im using an after market cable, but confirm the length was the same as factory. I can usually figure stuff out but not this time. What am I overlokking? Any help. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the Aerostar section. Assuming that the arm is down (parking brake off), and the cable length is the same as the previous cable, there shouldn't be any problem installing it unless something is in the way. Post some pictures if possible.

I have the same problem with my '97. I just bought another set(second new set) of rear cables. I think I matched the first set up with the old rusty set but not 100% positive,, it was some time ago.
I have hours invested trying to get this done.
I know that these have a self adjusting cable and need to be turned back and a pin installed. I am a street rodder and usually have no problem with this stuff but this one has me. Someone's light isn't coming on.
I M O self adjusting parking brakes are a P O S.
ANY TIPS OR SUGGESTIONS?? THANKS IN ADVANCE
TMJ

Well I turned the parking brake back and clamped it.
I bought and installed 2 more new rear brake cables.
Pulled on the lever to put the bolts in it.
It pulls the shoes so far that the top of the shoes are no longer resting on the top pin.
I have hours and hours invested in this minor brake job.
What is wrong with this???
Someone must of had this problem
TMJ

I'm having the same problem.

I pretty sure it relates to the self adjusting hand brake control, and I have the factory manual, but I can't find a position where the lock pin does what I expect it to do.

Surely some one has done this job successfully.

I actually took the van into an independent shop, but they could not figure it out. They said there was a pin broken in the hand control, but I'm pretty sure they don't understand how it is supposed to work..

Well I turned the parking brake back and clamped it.
I bought and installed 2 more new rear brake cables.
Pulled on the lever to put the bolts in it.
It pulls the shoes so far that the top of the shoes are no longer resting on the top pin.
I have hours and hours invested in this minor brake job.
What is wrong with this???
Someone must of had this problem
TMJ

OK, I think I got it together correctly. The Factory Service Manual is not very clear about how to take the tension off the cable and lock the self adjuster. I had to remove the handle and wind it until the cable connector was pretty much straight down.

I still did not have enough slack to easily connect the equalizer, I had to use a long clamp to pull all the slack out of the rear cable before I could assemble the three cables at the equalizer bar. Ended up being about a 5 hour job. I also had to loosen and move the driver's seat to be able to get to the left bolt holding the brake handle in. I like our AquaStar, but it is the worst POS to work on I have ever seen.

I'm having the same problem.

I pretty sure it relates to the self adjusting hand brake control, and I have the factory manual, but I can't find a position where the lock pin does what I expect it to do.

Surely some one has done this job successfully.

I actually took the van into an independent shop, but they could not figure it out. They said there was a pin broken in the hand control, but I'm pretty sure they don't understand how it is supposed to work..

Ski-Patroller I guess I didn't post that I got mine too.
I had to take the handle and front cable right out and put it in the vice to get the POS to turn far enough.
I'm sure this is the worst example of engineering ever on a brake system.

Ski-Patroller I guess I didn't post that I got mine too.
I had to take the handle and front cable right out and put it in the vice to get the POS to turn far enough.
I'm sure this is the worst example of engineering ever on a brake system.

That's what I did also. The manual was only limited help, since it did not indicate how far you had to rotate the drum (there are two places it can stop) or how to disable the self-adjusting ratchet pawl.

I Still had barely enough slack to get the equalizer bar attached. I can't imagine where you get as much slack as the manual shows.

Back