need help with assembling parking brake cables | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need help with assembling parking brake cables

dmac0923

Reaction score
City, State
Yorktown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger xlt
2002 ford ranger. i replaced both left and right rear parking brake cables. i currently have the rear drums dissassembled thinking it would help. then i removed the cable from the backing plate all together.

before i removed the originals, i put a drill bit in the parking brake pedal mechanism to keep it from sucking up the slack.

no matter what or which way i try to pull the cables, i come up about a 1/2" short of reaching the coupler on the intermediate cable.

it appears, i need to overcome the spring force from the coil spring on the brake shoe end of the cable

any ideas?

(yes the cables are the same length as the cables as that came off)

When you put the drill bit in the mechanism did you pull the front cable first to align the holes?? You should be able to remove the drill and be able to pull the front cable freely. It is spring loaded to take up the slack so you don't need to make any adjustments. As long as the park brake is not set you should be able to pull the front cable far enough to hook to the back.

Back