1997 explorer nearly flooded out...any maintenance needed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 explorer nearly flooded out...any maintenance needed?

DylanSpackman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT controltrac4x4
Hey everybody I hope one of you guys can give me some advice on this one. So a few days ago there was a really bad storm where I live. While trying to get through the neighborhood there were some extremely deep puddles. I drive a v6 1997 explorer xlt with control traction4x4 and i was just tearing through all the deep water until the last puddle right at the end of my neighborhood. It was night so the puddle didn't look that deep and the flat water looked like it turned back into pavement so I charged it. Finally i realized that it wasn't pavement but more water when a wave crashed onto my hood and water was coming up to my windows. I don't have a lift or anything so I was sure that I was about to flood out. Knowing that it only went deeper, i took my chances, stopped, threw it in reverse and gunned it back out. She didn't cut of or stall out or anything, just reversed right out like a badass. However, she now makes a rough noise when i start it and is really squeaky when it bounces. My power steering is also really squeaky now. I took it to this navy guy who said i need to grease my undercarriage to stop the squeaking when i hit bumps and what not.

Basically what i'm asking is what if any maintenance do i need to prevent any future problems i might have. do i need to change any fluids or is my engine going to rust out? Is my electrical damaged? Keep in mind my explorer nearly sank, water was up past the windows and i thought water was going to start pouring through the doors. By some miracle my explorer proved itself to be a tough vehicle and took me back home afterwards. Thank you for reading and any advice on what needs to be done would be very much appreciated.

Oh by the way, these old explorers are tough man. I passed a dodge dakota that was flooded out in literally less than a foot of water, his exhaust wasn't even under water and my explorer was able to reverse out of 3+feet of water. That should really say something for all you explorer fans :exp::thumbsup::D

You are very lucky you didn't hydrolock the engine. Navy guy is right about chassis squeeks. Also consider antiroll bars as source of this squeak. Power steering may be accessory belt, remove it and wash everyhting down to get rid of any dirt. Then replace with a new belt. You do need to change some fluids. Per Ford service manual, you must replace the front and rear differential fluids. I would also replace the transfer case fluid and strongly consider the transmission fluid. These all have vent tubes and may now contain some water.

People often cross water when offroading but without meticulous maintenance, these are the things that severly shorten the lifespan of an offroad truck. If all the electrical is still working, thats good to go. My Explorer is a bit modified with all vent tubes relocated and my max foarding depth is on 32 inches. you say you were in about 3 feet of water. Very lucky you didn't suck water into the air intake.

Thank you my new friend. yeah it may sound like i'm bsing about the water being that deep but i am 100% serious. Right before i reversed i looked over and water was up to my windows behind the glass and looked like a fish tank. a wave splashed ontp my hood and windshield so i'm sure your modified truck could really really handle some water. If anyone else knows something else please feel free to let me know :D

X2 on Joe's suggestions. Only thing I would add is to also take it to a carwash and plan to get dirty. Wash everything in the engine compartment while the engine is running. Use the lower pressure and avoid the electrical components and connections. I have done this with every one of my vehicles to keep the engine bay clean and have never had a problem. Then hit as much of the undercarriage with the sprayer as you can. The skid plates and the running boards really can hold the crud, which later leads to rust. You'll be fine.

Back