• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer will not start

dwatkins

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
1997 Explorer will not start, has been running great for two years, regular oil changes, tune ups. No issues.

1. The starter is cranking the engine.
2. Checked fuel inertia switch
3. Fuel pressure 40 psi.
4. Removed Oil fill cap,Looked inside valve covers camshaft chains are turning.
5. Removed spark plug, coils are firing plugs.

Any suggestions?

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spray some starter fluid in the intake manifold. See if it fires.

Tried starter fluid, no luck.

The engine is turning over, but the plugs are dry no fuel. ?

remove the negative cable for a few minutes, worked for me a couple of times.

check the connections at the cam and crankshaft sensors.... and of course, check your fuses.

check emergency fuel shut off switch.

1997 explorer sport will not start

I disconnected the battery, going to let it sit until I get home this afternoon.

I checked the fuel shutoff switch, I diconnected it and reset it, made no difference.

When I pulled one of the plugs it was dry no fuel at all.

When my daughter went to visit her brother the other day someone brake her tailight, I wonder if someone tried to break into the car and now the injectors are shut down because of that?

Thanks for all of the feed back so far.

What is your theft light "saying"? If you spray in starter fluid with no results, then you have at least an "electrical control" problem. What does your "check engine light say" during the start sequence... comes on solid with key, then goes off during crank? IF not, this further indicates "electrical control" issues.

Theft light is not blinking goes off during start

Check engine light solid with key on

While cranking turns off.

No wet plugs you say, and no start with start fluid???? check for voltage going to the injectors.... although that won't stop a "spray in" from at least "firing". A compression test will tell you if your "mechanicals" are good. cams moving, you say, but what you don't know is at what "time". As suggested check your cam and cranksensor connections.

Back