Tried Everything I could think of. Truck won't start!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tried Everything I could think of. Truck won't start!!!

badboy04_4_life

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
My brother has a 1999 Ford Explorer 4.0L OHV. He was driving it a month and a half ago when it started making like a clattering noise (could of been it sputtering or backfireing). It died and would not start so we towed it home let it sit for awhile and it still will not start. turns over but will not start. I took the engine apart to see if the head was cracked and to check the camshaft, both are fine. Replaced spark plugs, wires, camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, and coil pack. Still does not start. fuel pump works and has good pressure. All fuses look fine, none are blown. What will cause it to not start? Ive tried everything I can think of.
EDIT: checked spark at coil pack and it shows orange spark. when cranking if i push the gas to open the throttle it sputters and you can see it fire in the throttle body.:mad::mad::mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're seeing fire through the T/B (inside the intake manifold) I'd say you have a timing or intake valve problem. Are you sure it's not the SOHC 4.0 engine? It's fairly uncommon for an OHV engine to jump-time, but you did mention that it was rattling before it died. The SOHC engine jumping-time is usually how they eventually die.

BTW, I would think the spark should be white/blue and not orange/yellow, but that doesn't explain seeing fire in the intake.

I agree with koda - seeing fire in the intake seems like a bad thing. Sounds like valve timing and/or valve sealing to me, too. Have you checked cylinder compression? That'll tell you a little bit about the internals before you take the engine apart... Keep us up to date - Chris:usa:

I was also thinking it's a timing/valve issue.

At this point I would go to a junk yard to get a coil pack and an ICM ( ignition control module)

The ICM is located in the radiator core support on passenger side. Beware, the connector plug likes to stay stuck on there,it is easy to damage the ICM trying to disconnect it, so just be careful.

Just because the OP has good compression it doesn't rule out a timing issue. Coil/ignition doesn't explain the rattling noise prior to it no longer running, or seeimg fire in the intake manifold. I hope for his sake it's something more minor.

Turdle, I already changed the Coil pack. does anyone else agree for me to check the ignition control module?

Back