1997 Explorer XLT front end rebuild... questions inside.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer XLT front end rebuild... questions inside..

Xplorer82

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer 4.6L
i am getting ready to do a front end rebuild on my 97 Ex.

the rebuild kit i am getting ready to buy states that the kit is for ALL 1995 - 2001 Explorers regardless if it is 4wd/2wd/awd. True or False that the parts are interchangeable between 4wd/2wd/awd ??

the kit includes::
Upper control arms/ball joints
lower ball joints
sway bar links
inner & outter tie rod ends.

that is my main concern. that they are correct on not mattering if they are for 4wd/2wd/awd explorers since i am buying them off the internet and not local for exchanges if needed. i want to make sure i buy Right the first time.

also is Coni-Seal a decent brand?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just gonna take the chance and get the kit anyway. hope it works.

I take it thet this is a kit currently found on EBAY. Let me know about the quality and fit. I have seen these kits and they are around $130 for all components. Good luck with the rebuild. Let us know.

Yes the parts are the same.

that eased my mind. thanks.

I take it thet this is a kit currently found on EBAY. Let me know about the quality and fit. I have seen these kits and they are around $130 for all components. Good luck with the rebuild. Let us know.

yes they are the ones on ebay (see link for exact ones). i will update this with the quality and fit for you. $158 shipped great service so far, ordered today, be here tomorrow :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Got the package today. everything looks good and looks correct from eye to eye comparison......... except, im not sure if there is something up/wrong with the tie rod ends. its the rubber piece, it is not connected. i got it to go back around the tie rod, just not sure if they are supposed to come apart so easy like they did (showed up like that with grease coming out). its probably nothing tho (i never done them b4)

i'll try to get some pics up tonight.

Where did you get the kit from and how long did it take to get to you. No one has answered my post on what the problem could be with my Wifes truck but thinking that this kit may be what I need to solve the problem as reading over the forums appears these components seam to be a hot topic.

Where did you get the kit from and how long did it take to get to you. No one has answered my post on what the problem could be with my Wifes truck but thinking that this kit may be what I need to solve the problem as reading over the forums appears these components seam to be a hot topic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

that is where i got the kit from (Edit.... and they still have 3 available). it was $158 shipped and i placed the order before noon and got it all the next day. i am only one state away from MI tho so that is why it was here the next day w/Fedex.

as of now i am happy, but i am wondering about these tie rods though. i have pictures uploading so check back if you want to and good luck w/your truck. i'll go find your thread and give it a read.

Thanks will have to get that ordered on monday till then i think I will start the process of taking the front passenger side apart... what was the reason you did yours? where you having a problem with it?

Thanks will have to get that ordered on monday till then i think I will start the process of taking the front passenger side apart... what was the reason you did yours? where you having a problem with it?

your welcome.

there is a few reasons why,

going over little/medium bumps/pot holes i get this noise like something is "loose" and a few other odd noises here and there... i am getting inner tire wear. main thing is the miles on mostly OEM parts.

plus my lower ball joints are done for basically along with my upper control arm bushings, my sway bar bushings need changed (have to order them still) and probably so do my inner and outter tie rods and im about to roll over to 200k miles and just want everything new up front cause i plan on having this truck for another 100k if permitted. so i am just gathering the parts(more to come) till i have everything and im just rebuilding the front. then on to the Rear :)

pics coming. along with a few questions..

Click to enlarge

th_frontendrebuild001.jpg

th_frontendrebuild002.jpg

th_frontendrebuild003.jpg

th_frontendrebuild004.jpg

th_frontendrebuild006.jpg

th_frontendrebuild006.jpg

Well I am sure I will follow this thread to see how you come along with the project. The wife is only getting the wear on the passanger side but with 160K on her explorer guessing that this is the main issues that I need to address to correct the problem... Thanks for the info will order up that parts on Monday, trying to beat the snow and the fact that we have a baby coming in less then 2 weeks and we need the explorer to get the baby home.

Question time!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, the driver side UCA clearly has a silver ring on the ball joint near the end(see pic), but the pass side does not(see pic).... is it supposed to?
driver side
th_frontendrebuild010.jpg

pass side
th_frontendrebuild011.jpg

Now with the tie rod concern that i stated earlier... is this okay, or should i be contacting them to send a replacement?
th_frontendrebuild014.jpg

th_frontendrebuild015.jpg

oh, and can someone tell me why the UCA's came with one bolt and nut? what are they for?

th_frontendrebuild012.jpg

th_frontendrebuild013.jpg

ok, hopefully the last question..

i have the 2 piece UCA assembly on my Pass side, i am having trouble finding the second piece for the UCA. is it called something else because all i am finding is the piece i have of the 2 piece UCA.

well thanks to whoever replies/helps, i will quit asking questions for now :p.

be back 2morrow.

While I dont have the parts in hand yet I am starting to take it apart since I already have it all jacked up and am on a time crunch. However I am running into a problem getting the upper bolts off the UCA. Anyone have any helpful ideas seeing as I cant get my impact gun in the space to break them lose?

I am sure you are working this project today seeing as you have parts in hand, be interested what kind of issue you ran into.

i also went to auto zone since i couldnt get ahold of my buddy and they said that the tie rods are fine its no biggie. which that is what i thought i just wanted to make sure, so i just put the rubber piece back over the tie rod and just going to install them unless i hear any different on here before i do anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. The silver ring I have never seen before. Maybe you should call them but I personally wouldnt worry about it.

2.The tie rod end boots I think should be alright as they get shuished between the knuckle and the ball joint when you put it on so probably no worries there.

3. The bolts that came with the UCA's are new pinch bolts that go into the knuckle. You can replace them if you want. But just to be sure, when you take out the old pinch bolt, hold them next to each other for confirmation.

4. On the two piece design, to my knowledge all you have to replace is the outer part with the ball joint in it.

5. (Colo4X4) I assume you are talking about the camber adjustment bolts that hold the UCA to th frame? Get an 18" bar and go from there. they wont be easy. Also getting the bolt out is going to be a pain in the ass. I recommend that you get someone to help because there should be hard lines in the way of the camber washer.

Back