1997 mercury mountaineer AWD a/c compressor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 mercury mountaineer AWD a/c compressor

Paulyb513

Reaction score
City, State
Fenton, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Hi this is Paul
I have a 1997 mercury mountaineer 5.0L AWD and the a/c compressor bearing went out on me recently.
when it locked up it broke the belt so I replaced the belt & have not turned the a/c on since thats what broke the belt.
I ordered a new compressor off of eBay
so I was wanting to know if anyone could tell me the best way to remove old compressor & install the new one.
The other question is when the bearing goes out does any of the bearings get in the lines

I don't think there is a thread for replacing the compressor. It's a straight forward procedure. Remove the belt, unhook the electrical connection to the clutch, discharge the system, break the A/C lines loose and remove, then remove the bolts holding the compressor and remove compressor.

When reinstalling you need to evacuate the system with a vacuum pump to remove any moisture from the system.

A bad bearing shouldn't put debris in the system, but a bad carbon seal will cause "black death" where everything in the system gets contaminated by fine carbon particles.

This thread has a lot of info about the 2nd gen A/C system:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...te-2nd-gen-a-c-troubleshooting-thread.272849/

Back