1997 Mountaineer Radio lights out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Mountaineer Radio lights out

wheels23

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
Hello,

My 1997 Mountaineer has the stock JBL stereo in it. The blue back lighting that normally illuminates the radio has gone out. The clock display itself is totally fine. Of course, the service manual says that the radio illumination is "replaceable at Lincoln/Mercury and Ford authorized radio service centers".

I have seen several posts on fixing the well-known clock display issue with Explorers, but haven't been able to find a good description of how to fix this particular issue, if there is one. I am assuming it's not a fuse issue, but haven't actually checked.

Thanks for your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is not a fuse issue

I have not opened up the JBL Radio but have opened a bunch. Ford radios are easy to pull out and hopefully someone here will get you the information.

The other trick, pull radio. Open radio case, bring to ford and ask for the bulb replacement. I good parts guy might be able to help you and show how it is done.

I have the base radio/cassette player & the lights were out in it also (display fine). I pulled the radio, removed the black faceplate to see if it was just some bulbs. Found out that it was just a bad connection at the ribbon cable for the face plate. Pulled the connector apart & checked for voltage. Plugged it back in & has been working ever since. Might give that a try and see if it fixes it for ya.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I had read through that link several times before posting, but I'm just not sure if that applies to my situation. I have a '97 model and the clock display works fine, but it is the (blue) back-light that is absent and that is really the issue.

Also, when I change Preset radio stations (for example from #1 to #3 and back again), the yellow light that appears above the numbered button works normally. At night the radio is really impossible to see.

I have the same problem with my 97 XLT except that the overhead display will not dim when the lights are turned on. It will from time to time start working again which means the radio back lights will come on and the overhead display will dim when the lights are turned on. Of course the right after I turn off the lights and then turn them back on the next day it is out again.

The display worked fine on mine also, just no back lights. You are right, very hard to run when ya can't see the buttons. Mine has been working good for over a month since I messed with the ribbon connector.

I have the same problem with my 97 XLT except that the overhead display will not dim when the lights are turned on. It will from time to time start working again which means the radio back lights will come on and the overhead display will dim when the lights are turned on. Of course the right after I turn off the lights and then turn them back on the next day it is out again.

Hey!! I'm having the same problem with my 1996 XLT with JBL radio, I have also noticed that when this happens, cruise control doesn't work. So when cruise control works, i also have radio lights; if cruise control fails, also my radio lights. Is it any place where both systems get together?? Did you fix this??

Also when i turn the headlights on, I'm not able to see the O/D off light on my dashboard, only can see it when the headlights are off.

1996 Explorer XLT with JBL

Any suggestion?

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I had read through that link several times before posting, but I'm just not sure if that applies to my situation. I have a '97 model and the clock display works fine, but it is the (blue) back-light that is absent and that is really the issue.

Also, when I change Preset radio stations (for example from #1 to #3 and back again), the yellow light that appears above the numbered button works normally. At night the radio is really impossible to see.

Same problem here!! But i noticed that sometimes it works. But when it works, my cruise control works too and my overhead panel lights dim when i turn the headlights on, also the O/D light works when the headlights are on. When radio lights stop working all of those thing stop working too.

Any suggestion?

Same problem here!! But i noticed that sometimes it works. But when it works, my cruise control works too and my overhead panel lights dim when i turn the headlights on, also the O/D light works when the headlights are on. When radio lights stop working all of those thing stop working too.

Any suggestion?
Your dimmer switch, possibly the light switch but I bet the dimmer has gone bad.

Hello,

My 1997 Mountaineer has the stock JBL stereo in it. The blue back lighting that normally illuminates the radio has gone out. The clock display itself is totally fine. Of course, the service manual says that the radio illumination is "replaceable at Lincoln/Mercury and Ford authorized radio service centers".

I have seen several posts on fixing the well-known clock display issue with Explorers, but haven't been able to find a good description of how to fix this particular issue, if there is one. I am assuming it's not a fuse issue, but haven't actually checked.

Thanks for your help

These radios are getting old. If your problem is confined to the radio, and the radio is getting power, I would guess the problem is in the radio. The most efficient repair would seem to be simply replacing the radio.

Serious question.... why would anyone invest money or time in the old stock radio? Especially since these aren't really antique trucks?

Good luck win your efforts.

Your dimmer switch, possibly the light switch but I bet the dimmer has gone bad.

Thanks a lot! The dimmer switch is working fine, but maybe one of the connections in the back is sending wrong signals to the rest of the sistem. I will replace it and get back to you!

These radios are getting old. If your problem is confined to the radio, and the radio is getting power, I would guess the problem is in the radio. The most efficient repair would seem to be simply replacing the radio.

Serious question.... why would anyone invest money or time in the old stock radio? Especially since these aren't really antique trucks?

Good luck win your efforts.

Personally, the stock head unit serves my needs just fine. Our mach sub has Lack of deep accurate bass yes, but that will not be fixed with a head unit.

The steering wheel and rear controls are what I like. I was able to fix my display with a 50.00 circuit board and 2 additional solder fixes on the display itself. replacing the head unit would cost a lot more, and to keep the aux controls would cost even more work.

Bad solder to look for when replacing the power supply does not work. Chances are these going bad stressed your PS and may have knocked it out, or a bad cap in the ps overheated this connection.

004.JPG

001.JPG

Hi Turdle. Nice solder work and great photos! Curious again.... when did you ever find the rear stereo controls useful? (I only found then confusing or annoying.)

Thanks again.

Hi Turdle. Nice solder work and great photos! Curious again.... when did you ever find the rear stereo controls useful? (I only found then confusing or annoying.)

Thanks again.

I have grandkids. They think it's cool to mess with grandpa.

I'll admit it's only been 2-3 times someone in the rear seat used it to choose a cd or radio station to actually listen to other than them. Steering wheel controls are nice.

thanks for noticing the pictures, I figured pictures of "bad" were good enough, didn't take any repaired, or soldered. That is what I discovered

Back