• Register Today It's free!

1997 SOHC EB Explorer Vibration

Dick Berg

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer EB 4L SOHC
Hello forum - I haven't posted in a while, but we have recently experienced a noticeable vibration (possibly front-end?) at around 65 MPH when initially driving.
After backing off the speed to 60 MPH, the vibration stops. After driving for a while, increasing the speed back to 65 MPH+, the vibration has stopped.
Certainly, the engine has warmed up during this time, but I'm not sure this is the reason.
Any clues as to what's causing this?

Thanks,
Dick Berg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Start with the basics. Get your wheels/tires balanced and go from there.

Hello forum - I haven't posted in a while, but we have recently experienced a noticeable vibration (possibly front-end?) at around 65 MPH when initially driving.
After backing off the speed to 60 MPH, the vibration stops. After driving for a while, increasing the speed back to 65 MPH+, the vibration has stopped.
Certainly, the engine has warmed up during this time, but I'm not sure this is the reason.
Any clues as to what's causing this?

Thanks,
Dick Berg
Balance your tires. U could move your rears too the front. See what happens. Before u rotate your tires with ithe vehicle in the air, spin each wheel by hand, look at the tire straight on too see if the rim Or thread has shifted. I had the same trouble with a rental, at speed below 65, the car vibrated, above 70 it was smooth no vibration.

Agree with other posts, I'd take the wheels off, rotate front to rear, and while at it, inspect the tread for irregular wear and whether any wheel weights fell off. On my '98 the weights are clamped to the outside of the rim, but some tire shops seem to just slap the adhesive type on the inside since many newer vehicles need that type, then it is easier to go unnoticed if one comes off.

Regarding the vibration stopping after it has ran a while, all I can think of at the moment is possibly bad engine mounts, or you have a wheel bearing failing and it gets some slack out after it warms up. Play or gritty movement of the bearings is another thing to check while rotating the tires.

I have the same issue from around 30 until 40 and then it's gone

All - Thanks for the responses.
Since it's easy to rotate the tires, we'll do that. However, it isn't clear to me why the vibration would go away after driving for a while if it was a tire imbalance.
J_C - You bring up a good point about the bearings. They could be affected by heat related to driving.
What about the half-axles, could they be the source of the vibration? After driving a while, the internal grease could get heated up somewhat and then affect the vibration.

Thanks again for all your comments they're appreciated.

Dick

I would check the universal joints.

Half axles have more play, if anything I'd think it would get worse when heated up, though they tend to make a clicking noise when turning and you'd usually see grease loss leading to failure. Wouldn't hurt to look at them. Get under there and poke/pry everything if it's not wheel related.

I would check the universal joints.
Good thought on the U-joints.
The rig has 160K miles and they have never been replaced. What's the best way to determine if they need replacement? Looseness, or???
Is it difficult to replace them?

Thanks,
Dick

Looseness & the presence of rust powder are good quick checks.

They are pretty simple to do, just take your time. One thing is the 12 point bolt heads...kind of tight getting a socket in there, but turning the shaft usually yields a sweet spot.
Good thought on the U-joints.
The rig has 160K miles and they have never been replaced. What's the best way to determine if they need replacement? Looseness, or???
Is it difficult to replace them?

Thanks,
Dick

Back