1997 v8 Explorer missing PCV valve | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 v8 Explorer missing PCV valve

1995 Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Western Springs, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT '97 XLT '97 Mounty
I am currently changing the valve cover gaskets on my Ex. While i have the intake off i was plannin to change the pcv valve. I have followed several threads here and the place where it would normally be located is empty. I placed the new valve in and it fits perfectly but there is not a line to connect to it. I located the spot on the steel lines where the pcv hose would normally hook up along the passenger side fuel rail, but the place it would hook up does not have a fitting, rather the two lines are joined together with a u fitting. I don't believe that this intake has every been off before and it looks original.

Is it possible that my ex did not come with a pcv valve from the factory? The truck runs fine and does not throw any codes. Like I said above i found where the valve would go at the back of the intake, but there is nothing there, just an empty space. I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined, but i must say that I am stumped by this. I thought a 1997 would have had a pcv valve.

PCV valves in one form or another have been standard equipment since the mid-sixties except on certain specialty vehicles. Your truck should definitely have one so it seems someone removed the system for some reason.

I'd have to think leaving the opening in the valve cover open to the elements without a valve in it wouldn't be a good idea.

All our trucks have a pcv valve. Im surprised that yours ran without one installed. That is a big hole and hence a huge vacuum leak. I know when i pulled mine to seafoam the engine i had to manipulate the throttle cable to prevent the engine from dying.
This is my intake off my '96 V8. Should be similiar to yours except you might have an external egr port. Mine is internal, the hole in the center of the ports.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1335.JPG
    IMG_1335.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_1336.JPG
    IMG_1336.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 777

Thanks everyone. I found the valve, it had broken off in the hose at some point and as a result was not hooked up where it should be. I have removed the old valve and will be replacing it tomorrow.

Back