1998 Can't stop alarm, car won't start, no keyfob | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Can't stop alarm, car won't start, no keyfob

nimblemotors

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0
For some reason, the keyfob today was missing from my keychain, and so I unlock the drivers door with the key and it now sets off the alarm which won't stop no matter what I do. Tried to insert key and turn car on, no luck, no start, manual lock doors, maybe it stopped horn, but still no start.

I am stumped and now can't drive my truck and every attempted blares the horn.
I almost think someone stole my fob and is fking with me, but that seems far fetched.

My search said putting in the key and/or locking doors should stop it, but no luck.
This has happened to me before when I had the keyfob, and eventually the keyfob stopped it,
but now I don't have it.

What to do? How can I just totally disable this bs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At least i got the horn disconnected now. This must be an non-oem alarm system, since I disconnected the box in the back and it still keep going,
and I found a motion sensor behind the console that was flashing (when I moved it), I don't think the oem alarm has a motion sensor.
The THEFT light goes off when I turn key on, so that isn't stopping it from starting, the alarm system is. But it was controlled with the oem keyfob.

Is there a dealer installed alarm that is common, and where is it? I tried to trace the motion sensor wires, they disappear behding the dash.
Really don't want to tear apart the dash looking for this, but the fking car does not start and I am stranded now.

ebcjmKFJFRTq9qbloS8YMvBy3M-BMe0w129djr3H6MBq1XKcJhER7Efn0bQTlcGjZaC77RYpNtDVqbej2jsL2TNCTHUAovarBBWBPpCFUPaDOhVo9_NjDyiyaJFlwCVJNLWTLduf9ffv9eGSfwH1SCYqaboJR5dlQU-12zx5ixUGQstRS8SlsnRBsQEi24OwYs_PrpvT0LSial_e1DHAizkM_l0S1u5PgfOgcCIX9mr1JVrRMoNGaNk4wOzwJnIX3BS59hTh6C0-BeT-fj00RXNGSslAMpZP7b1rFyxBZQ0mTFdHwS9938VfvAz6v78Z7zuD1C7zhlCeF4Prpi4ctFLWaRHyAbxfaHyiW5toRRKOMxNPMLY3zOLSfBUMwMAQRUQjogRleetr9mfmjQz3R0bsjgD1GoMVe68Vb_8dw0Ltqp0ARulCNY5Am4pO2afU_5WKlEVvyamtcu9zEVsQbCnwpywhr-QyZssBZnXZSvT-uuhByLO667gZHttVvQOb_9RTvUyTFMgVcgkAhsSuh1kqEjF4yO1LkAort3GqIBsY6UAjhO8WAzu4f7OUBDbeVUwWiQLub4BxH50TfIAp8hrPHNUgcQmBFot14FgXNa_F52smshv3NbCHn3zUHkyy2SUzjHCN8LkVFyz6CZliMErWwnP28bA=w1263-h947-no

Take a look under the steering column and see if you see anything similar in my picture. This is some sort of after market alarm that was installed on top of the factory anti-theft system in my Explorer , it started going off (honking horn) for no reason, also causes no start sometimes, so I completely removed it and all the non factory wires.

PATS started in '98 on Explorers, and you have titled it as a '98, but your profile vehicle is listed as a '97. I assume it's a '98 based on having the dash Theft Light?

You wrote no start, but what exactly is it and isn't it doing? Is it cranking? If not it's interrupting the starter somewhere in that circuit. Do you have fuel pressure? If not it's interrupting the fuel pump. If you have both then it's probably interrupting ignition or fuel injectors, just switching on and off a single wire with a relay in its box. You can look at the box circuit board to see which wires it's switching on and off, or proceed with what is below.

Obviously first is find the alarm box. Consider what it seems to be disabling and identify the wires going to it. If the factory wires look different in any way this is easier and you may be able to go by color. A multimeter with a longer extension lead on it can be very helpful.

Reconnect the factory wires back together.

If the alarm box or circuit board has a brand and/or model on it then you might be able to find the owners manual or a wiring diagram for it, which may not be necessary but couldn't hurt.

My '97 had the dash theft light, but no PATS. As said, no PATS until 1998.

PM sent...

I got new key fobs, and programmed them to the explorer (i have both a 97 (pre-pats) and 98 (pats), this is the 98),
and so now its back as before, since the key fob turns off the alarm. Been too busy trying to catch up from 2 days lost,
so have not had time to try and rip out the alarm system, that is the plan.

Back