1998 Ford Explorer 4L OHV engine freeze plug trouble | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer 4L OHV engine freeze plug trouble

CynthiaK

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4L OHV
A freeze plug rusted through on my truck and we replaced it with a rubber one. The rubber one blew out so today we bought a Dorman metal one and put it in and while out for a short test drive, the metal one blew out too. Any suggestions or help on how to get them to stay in the engine block?

Thank-you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you live somewhere cold, I’d replace it with a block heater.

Dorman stuff isn’t the best. A lost freeze plug can ruin your day, I’d buy a top quality one.

If you live somewhere cold, I’d replace it with a block heater.

Dorman stuff isn’t the best. A lost freeze plug can ruin your day, I’d buy a top quality one.

Thank-you for the reply.
Top quality as in an original Ford one or another brand?
I can't replace it with a block heater because the location of the hole has a wall very close to it.

Doesn’t have to be a Ford part, but I’d use something with a crossbar that holds it in, so it can’t just get pushed out.

Doesn’t have to be a Ford part, but I’d use something with a crossbar that holds it in, so it can’t just get pushed out.

The engine wall is only about 4 mm from the inside edge of the hole so I don't think anything with a crossbar will fit.

I guess I’d try a better expansion style if that’s the case.

The rubber expansion one we tried was also a Dorman - Auto Value Parts in Canada.

Are you referring to the rubber ones or the metal ones? Lots of part places refer to them both as "expansion" style.

I’d, personally use a rubber one. Metal ones can be awful tough to install with the motor in-vehicle. I’d rough up the hole a little with sandpaper and make sure it was super clean and dry.

I’d, personally use a rubber one. Metal ones can be awful tough to install with the motor in-vehicle. I’d rough up the hole a little with sandpaper and make sure it was super clean and dry.

We have tried a rubber one but it was too thick and the front plate did not butt up against the outer engine wall. I am having difficulty finding a narrower one, thought maybe we could cut it down the rubber one we have. Have you ever heard of anyone doing this?

I’ve never ran into that. I’ve never replaced plugs that were very close to the inner jacket walls.

Hi,

Thank-you for all the responses. I ordered a plug from Ford and an installer kit from Amazon and after a few hours (4) we finally got it to pop in!
It was the one behind the exhaust manifold, such a pain to get it in evenly!

Thanks again!

Ouch. Glad you got it worked out!

Back