1998 V6 random dead issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 V6 random dead issue

Doug Mawby

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
My inlaws are giving me their 98 Explorer for one of my daughters (and she really likes driving trucks so that is good). The had a bunch of servicing done to it so it would be all ready for her. They brought it home from the shop and the next morning it would not do ANYTHING when the key was turned. No lights, no radio, like the battery was disconnected.

I finally got over there and recharged the battery. I messed around with connections and poked around in the engine compartment. Once the battery was charged it started right up. Everything is fine.

Prior to going over to look at the vehicle I had done some research on these machines and found an article about common problems with these that include a fault with the engine bay fuse block that can cause the power to be totally disconnected. I did wiggle the fuse block a bunch before trying to charge/start the truck.

I cannot find anything on the internet about this issue right now and want to make sure I am not crazy and that replacing the fuse block is the correct course of action. I have years of hours working on my 99 Caravan and 98 Passat so I can handle this, just need some insight into the Ford realm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a “turn key and instantly dead” issue. Corrosion between the wire and terminal was the problem. Eventually switched to full brass terminals.

index.php

Awsome info. Thanks!!

I will check that fuse issue and check the cable end. When I was monkeying with the battery I could have jarred the cable end and re-established a decent connection...

Never ever had an issue with a fuse box on these trucks. Full size Fords yes....but not these explorers
its usually battery cables, or the alternator is not charging the battery.
Easy enough to test

@toypaseo has it covered for you......most likely the battery cables if the battery and alternator check out

it is possible the info I was reading was related to the linked post from the other member. in that case, the primary fuse to the relay box was super corroded and not providing contact. That may or may not be my issue. This truck has never been off road and was driven EASY its whole life. I will check both and see what I find. cruddy and loose batter terminals have caused me a little grief in the past - they did not LOOK unwell, but I did not look super close...

it usually is something simple, just need to locate it...

thanks for the advice.

With the truck off, disconnect a battery cable, put a DVM inline, and see if she has a substantial current draw. Should be a small draw for stuff like PCM keep alive, clock, anti-theft, etc...you're looking for a draw big enough to drain a battery overnight. Sometimes people install aftermarket items like alarm systems that you don't even know are still there. This happened to my friend. He bought a car that had an aftermarket alarm installed, but didn't know it. The PO had a problem with it going off all the time, but instead of removing the alarm, he just disconnected the alarm siren. Smart. The alarm would 'go off' in the middle of the night and draw enough power to drain the battery below starting voltage, without making so much as a peep.

If that checks out, then I'd start digging into the headache stuff like mentioned above. I hate troubleshooting fuse boxes.

Back