1998 XLT build :) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 XLT build :)

Waiting for the weather to get warm but found these at AutoZone on clearance
IMG_20190302_080319.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So now that I have been driving it here and there and taking everything apart I have found quite a bit that needs to be fixed. Going to list it all here in order of importance and start taking care of things as money allows. When everything maintenance wise is fixed then I'm going to do the fun stuff hopefully in time for Summer.

1. Shift link indicator. (Have a good one attached to replacement instrument cluster)
2.Transmission fluid and filter. ( some rough shifts sometimes)
3. Brakes and rotors. (Rotors are scored)
4. Alignment. (Steering wheel is upside down)
5. New tires.
6. Fix Exhaust leak. (Headers? :) )
7. Front window motors.

I thought I was getting off easy for 600$ but I think the money I have to put in to bring here back up to snuff is worth it to avoid a car payment . It's weird to me my Eddie has almost 270k and is in way better condition.

IMG_20190310_182726.jpg

Got the hood off to get it painted and almost washed the engine bay but scared myself out of it lol.

I was looking for my exhaust leak on the manifold and noticed a crack in the EGR tube accordian thingy. Could that be the whole leak even tho I have the old tubular manifold?

IMG_20190308_203357.jpg

Going to start updating here but also on youtube!

Well done. Keep spending time on it, you can do anything with the right amount of time and knowledge.

IMG_20190321_191226.jpg
Snapchat-2097335599.jpg

Got a little bit more done. Started working on painting the grill and since I have the headlights out I refreshed those a bit. Compared to my 99 Eddie I could tell a difference!

Debating on buying a new valve body and transmission pan with a drain plug. That is the next maintenance item on my list then a new EGR tube. Dreading changing the manifold at some point it has the old tubular style.

IMG_20190321_191234.jpg

Sprayed old plastic with bedliner. Hard to tell but looks good

IMG_20190322_113153.jpg

Starting to come along up front. Warming up so probably do the hood next.

IMG_20190322_112855.jpg

Also decided to replace the factory fog lights with LEDs.

I got new headlight assemblies for my 97 SPORT from RA for $19 bucks each. I tried to polish the old ones, just too much work, for little gain.

I got new headlight assemblies for my 97 SPORT from RA for $19 bucks each. I tried to polish the old ones, just too much work, for little gain.

Yeah I checked and mine are the old rectangular ones and they are almost 40$ each. I got both LED lights for 13$ shipped so I'm not banking on them lasting forever but for the moment it will do. I mainly wanted to play around with getting external lights wired up on my own I plan to add a light bar too.

I am for the most part trying to keep this build "budget" friendly. I plan on headers and will use the OBX version not the THM and have grabbed most things to fix the car from the junkyard. It doesn't bother me long as it works and lasts how long I would imagine.

Snapchat-1104969390.jpg

My 99 Eddie Bauer got jealous I guess of all the work I'm putting into the XLT. Cut off on me in traffic yesterday while I noticed the voltage was low. Slapped in a alternator and all seems well again back up to 14.4 volts. Hoping that's why my oil pressure gauge was bouncing around.
IMG_20190322_114536.jpg

IMG_20190406_124354.jpg
IMG_20190408_090833.jpg

My nieghbor sold me a old hitch yesterday for 5 bucks. Truck is coming along need to get the rear bumper off and paint it next.

IMG_20190419_202040.jpg

Still building :). Plugs and wires up next then digging into the transmission.

IMG_20190418_181356.jpg
IMG_20190418_192613.jpg

Pretty sure black gas isn't good for the fuel pump or engine. Got a new kn filter for cheaper than the motor craft so I went with it. Hope it helps with the stutter I am experiencing along with plugs and wires

IMG_20190421_184704.jpg

IMG_20190421_181841.jpg

Spark plugs and wires are done! Between that and the fuel filter I'm noticing a big difference in it. The issue I thought was coming from the air intake mod was actually just the plugs being bad so I added it back and I have more throttle response plus all the power I was lacking from old plugs. The old truck is getting there

Excellent, it's good to know that normal maintenance can be helpful. When you get happy with the basic stuff, then you might think about getting a ported lower intake, or a bigger exhaust etc. Enjoy it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMG_20190423_193355.jpg

Found a pretty much brand new exhaust manifold at the junkyard today. Yes I know it's the horrible one but it had a brand new EGR tube (the tag was literally still on it till I man handled everyrheve pulling it out)

Since my egr tube is cracked I grabbed it till I can get OBX headers that I want to do at the very end of this build.

Back