1999 Explorer engine rattle.

jmedina827

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 4x4 XLT
Hi all.
I am new to the board, but not a new Explorer owner - recently aquired #3 - 1999 XLT 4.0 SOHC. A friend started experiencing the front engine rattle noise (timing chain tensioner grenading) and now its mine. Timing chains are still in place and truck runs, but noisy. I am considering replacing the front cam tensioner only to fix the problem. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jmedina827:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I have a '97 4x4 and my truck is still doing the chain rattle. I did the 00M12 Kit and the Rear Tensioner and it was a no go. BUT it did really quiet down the truck and it was worth it. I may have allowed the chain rattle for too long before taking action. When the truck warms up, the noise is hardly noticeably. I say do the front tensioner and maybe even do the rear one for some preventive maintenance.

Thanks, That will be the plan.

does this rattling noise kick up when you are at idle?

remove the valve covers

I suggest that you remove the valve covers and determine if either timing chain guide assembly is broken. It won't be much more work since you'll already have the intake manifold removed. A 1999 probably has already had the hydraulic tensioners replaced. I doubt that replacing them will solve your problem.

SOHC V6 Timing Chain Inspection & Repair

I've replaced the front jackshaft tensioner,old one snapped and had to be removed from the oil pan. She sounds fine now, however has lost all fuel pressure at the rail. She starts fine with priming from starter fluid, now looks like ZI need to replace the electric fuel pump.

Back