cold start engine rattle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cold start engine rattle

kwbulldog1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Alright, I just bought a 2000 sport 4.0 sohc with an automatic transmission. It has nearly 126k mi on it. I've been noticing a rattling sound when I start up on cold mornings. It doesn't last long at all, really only until the motor fully turns over and its actually running. It almost sounds like a diesel engine for a second. I've been doing some research and I've found that it is probably the timing chain tensioners and after doing some more reading I am becoming increasingly worried about having to get this fixed because it seems as though it is going to destroy my wallet. Like I said, I just bought it so funds are at the minimum right now. Is there any other things that could cause this noise other than the timing chain, or will it be easier to get fixed than I think. I'm pretty sure it is the front one making the noise. Could someone please give me some peace of mind?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

upper tensioners - oil & spring

The upper timing chain tensioners are spring loaded and oil pressurized. The springs provide tension on the timing chains until the oil pressure builds. With age the springs weaken and there is chain slap at engine startup until the oil pressure builds enough to reduce the slap. Chain slap causes increased guide wear and potential chain to metal contact. I recommend changing the upper tensioners every 75,000 miles.

I have pretty limited experience in mechanics but I am learning very fast. Is this something I should tackle myself or should I have the shop do it? I'm not sure I'm up for taking apart the entire front end of my truck on my own. But I'm afraid he is going to want to fix more than what is maybe needed judging by the way he sounded when I called and talked to him today. How hard was it nitro? What all did you need as far as tools and such?

I have pretty limited experience in mechanics but I am learning very fast. Is this something I should tackle myself or should I have the shop do it? I'm not sure I'm up for taking apart the entire front end of my truck on my own. But I'm afraid he is going to want to fix more than what is maybe needed judging by the way he sounded when I called and talked to him today. How hard was it nitro? What all did you need as far as tools and such?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261439

2000StreetRod wrote a damn fine guide on how to do it... I say give it a read once or twice and see if you think you're up to the task. Change the upper & lower gaskets while you're at it... you'll pretty much need to anyway.

I'll give er a reading tmrw once I get off work. Thanks a lot

Did doing it eliminate the rattle? Mine seems to only last until the engine fully turns over and is running. 3 seconds at the most?

doesn't his write up only show how to do the front? Did you just figure out how to do those on your own? I'm thinking it may be coming from the rear now 8-l fml. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm beginning to become discouraged about the whole Explorer thing and I'm considering selling it now before it blows up on me and I'm out a vehicle.

Replacing rear timing chain tensioner

To change the upper rear tensioner you jack up the right front, support with jackstand, remove wheel, remove inner fender flap, unscrew tensioner with socket and drive. It will be hard to loosen and you will probably need a long extension. You can't even see it from above the engine but it is very visible from below. The photo below shows it - the black hex in the side of the head near the rear and aft of the last spark plug.
SOHC%20RearTensioner.JPG

The photo below shows what it looks like in the vehicle looking up thru the fender opening after removing the flap.
TensHead.jpg

Wow that sounds quite simple. So you're saying that all I need to do is wrench that out then put a new one in. I'm sure you obviously gave me a crash course and there is a bit more than that, but overall is that about it?

Practice swap

Yes, that's really all there is to it. The specified torque for 1999 and later vehicles is 49 ft-lbs. When I removed the front tensioner I had to apply about 75 ft-lbs to get it to release. I suspect the rear will be comparable. The only problem is finding the right combination of extensions to get the leverage needed. There were 10 genuine Ford rear tensioners advertised on eBay recently for $5 each. I bought one and posted a notice about them on the forum. I believe all of them were sold to members in the following 24 hours.

I may go ahead and replace mine now before pulling the engine so I can document what's involved. I feel it's important that members find out how easy it is. It just might prevent a future engine removal/reinstallation for someone.

no need to remove tire or inner fender. I just turn the all the way to the left and shut it off and let it cool used 1 1/16" shallow socket on the rachet no extension was a tight fit.

And that black headed hex is what you take out and then replaced it with a new one? That is all that the rear timing tensioner is? Where do I buy one of these and what do I search for? Is it just called the rear timing tensioner? I did a little searching today and didn't get far, but I didn't try all too hard.

Alright alright, so let me get this straight. That black headed hex is all that the rear timing tensioner is, and all I have to do is wrench it out and replace it with a new one? And where would you suggest that I get one? Its just called the rear timing chain tensioner correct? I didn't find much about it in the Haynes I bought. Honestly it hasn't been much help at all really.

upper tensioners

The upper timing chain tensioners are shown below.
Tensioners.jpg

The shorter one on the right is for the right rear. It's part number used to be XU3Z6K254BA that has been superceded by 7U3Z6K254A according to a parts search I just did at tousleyfordparts.com, tascafordparts.com and silverstatefordparts.com
The price is about $30. I would call Tousley (an Explorer Forum vendor) and confirm the part number and ask for the Explorer Forum discount (employee cost + 10%, shipping at cost).

thanks a lot, you've helped me out greatly. I'll get this done and let you know how it went and if it solved my rattle. I'm assuming that the one on the left is for the front?

tensioner removed

Today I removed the upper rear tensioner while the engine was still in the vehicle so I could determine the best method. The only 27 mm socket I have is a deep well about 3 inches long. I had to use a wobble extension because of part of the inner fender blocking a 90 degree angle from the tensioner. I was not able to find the right combination of extensions that provided enough leverage to break the tensioner loose. I ended up loosening it from the engine compartment as shown below.
TorqTens.jpg

The red arrow indicates the location of the deep well socket. A very shallow socket would have greatly simplified the task. I will generate a new procedure describing the replacement process.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back